Other Anyone with 5 inch plus screen phone?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Archtronics, 26 Sep 2013.

1. notmeagain

notmeagain Minimodder

Been using the HTC One for a while now and although i adore the screensize, it's becoming an annoyance, when holding one handed, i find that the base of my thumb interacts with the screen instead of the tip of my thumb (When reaching across the screen).

I commute on the tube, so using it two handed in those circumstances is a no-no.

Other than that, i've had no tumbles or slips (touch wood) and it's pretty good to have that realestate.

2. PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn

PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn Unholy Cyborg Fruit Machine

as I said, no issues other than getting it out when sitting. had a nokia 5800 before this, which was more awkward in a pocket (despite a much smaller screen) purely because of the thickness of it.

once its in the pocket it lies flat against the leg and isn't noticeable

3. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I have an Xperia Z 5" phone and it is a doddle to use and is not problem in the pocket as it is quite thin, the key is getting a case that is not bulky then it is not an issue, I use a thin leather slip case. Don't even notice it sitting, walking or climbing etc. my phones have been bigger than 3.5" for about 5 years and can't go back to a little thing.

For me my phone is a computer in my pocket, it is barely used as a phone apart from when the missus is barking demands at me :)

I am eyeing up the LG G2 also as I have an upgrade due on one of my phones in a couple of months, this is 5.2" in a body the same size as the Xperia Z (except 1mm thicker, good trade off for screen and extra battery life)

I would like bigger but I feel the Z might be my limit for pocketability, I may try a Z1 if there is a good deal though it is bigger in all dimensions than the Z/LG G2

Last edited: 27 Sep 2013
  4. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Being 6'6" with large hands I can say that 5" isn't an issue. I can use the whole phone (we are talking about phones yes) with ease.

My Mrs is 5'4" and she looks bloody ridiculous using it.

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I am very tempted to try a 6" might try and pick up an old secondhand note to see if I can live with it.

for the OP HTC ONE vs LG G2 here

6. Xaine

Xaine Death... destroyer of brain cells

The trick to not catching it with the base of your thumb is to practice your fingers to a good enough dexterity to be able to balance the phone on the tips of your 3 middle fingers, I do this and when I need to hit something with my thumb i tip the phone slightly toward my palm and bam loadsa space and can reach any part of the 4.65" screen with ease.

Saying that, my right hand has some crazy ninja-like dexterity... I wonder how I obtained that.........................:naughty:

7. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Sounds like if there thin enough its not much of an issue, I am after something with a larger screen as I mainly use my phone for emails, internet and netflixs on my lunch break. My main concern atm is the battery I'm fed up with phones that can't last a day so hopefully the nexus 5 will have the same as the LG G2.

8. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Nexus 5 has smaller battery than g2

9. notmeagain

notmeagain Minimodder

I play guitar, I'm quite dextrous as mr todge can attest to.

I just have chunky beef thumbs.

10. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

I have a HTC One X and whilst it isn't 5" it's certainly more than 4 IIRC. It's a great size, I do struggle in the pocket sometimes but I think that's more to do with the thickness as mine sits in an otterbox case. I have to admit, I have the Asus transformer prime which is almost identical in terms of hardware so I don't think I'll buy a similarly sized phone next time round, but that's because I don't need it rather than because there's anything wrong with the size of the phone.

11. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

I have a Galaxy S3, 4.8'' screen. It's fine, honestly could be a bit bigger without any issues. I can use it with one hand, though most of the time I just use two. There aren't many situations when I have the time to be looking at my phone but only have one hand free!

12. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

13. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I have a galaxy s4 I find it ok size wise, not too big most the time, maybe a little on the large side if trying to reach the top left of the screen with one hand.
    Mrs Bear has a note 2, I hate it, I find it too big for day to day use. Even too big for occasional use too.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

14. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Me too.

I specifically got a Note as a bridge between a phone and a tablet, and it's perfect. It's not too big to go in trouser pockets and it's size doesn't present any significant downsides to me. Can text with one hand easily enough.

Have had a fair few comments about the size of it when people see it. It's a demote in itself how narrow-minded people can be based on some out-dated fashion for small phones.

15. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

I've had the original Galaxy Note for 18 months now. As a fan of the outdoors who's rarely in the UK and hasn't worked a 9-5 for a few years now, I wear practical trousers/shorts at all times. Never had pocket issues either walking around or sitting down.

I can do a fair bit with the phone one handed, but as a Swype fan I prefer two handed use. As others have said, I'm always gonna be carrying a phone, so why add a Kindle/Pad/whatever as well. I can read, watch TV/movies, browse/Tweet etc. with ease. Does it look silly to other people when on the phone? Apparently, yes. As an adult in my thirties this is not even a minor concern!

The extra inch or two will seem a lot at first if coming from a tiny Apple phone, but the screen real estate and bigger batteries are more flexible for the plethora of things we all do now besides make calls.

16. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

The battery life on the wife's note 2 does exceed my s4 and I find the s pen to be useful in occasion. But for me the s4 is more practical for day to day.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4