1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Noob triple monitor question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Yeoo, 16 Oct 2013.

1. Yeoo

Yeoo Minimodder

Hello Everyone,

Forgive me this might be a bit of a noob question but, I have 2x AOC monitors which are both 1920x1080. Each monitor has one VGA and 2 HDMI but not DVI.

I have a Sapphire Radeon HD 6750 GFX card.

Currently one is connected by VGA one is via HDMI which I think is less than perfect. When screen turns off to save power clicking will only wake one monitor up.

Anyway The crux to my question is I would like to add a 3rd monitor and run them all off HDMI.

What would be my best option get a matching GFX card run 2 dvi to hdmi converters and one HDMI?

OR can anyone recommend a good budget card to do this. Gaming wise not that often mainly World of Tanks but I do not want to rule it out in future.

Any advice?

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

I'd just swap your card for this one. Only one card then. You'd just need a DisplayPort to HDMI and a DVI to HDMI converter :thumb:

3. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

You'll need an active (NOT passive) displayport to HDMI adapter to add a 3rd monitor. You can get cheap passive DVI to HDMI converters, if you want to use it in place of the VGA cable (assuming your using a DVI>VGA adapter now and have 1x HDMI, 1x DVI, 1x display port connections) . In terms of the second monitor not coming out of sleep, maybe update your drivers. HDMI/DVI will usually take a bit longer due to stupid HDCP, but outright not coming on again is a bit odd.

4. Yeoo

Yeoo Minimodder

If i added another 6750 that has 1x hdmi 1x Dvi and 1 xVga

Could i not use a hdmi from each card and a dvi to hdmi on the other? can you use outputs from each card in sli/crossfire (whats the difference in sli/xfire)

5. noizdaemon666

If they're in crossfire I think it forces you to use the primary card, but that may only apply to SLI. I would still go for a single card solution.

6. Thermolance

Thermolance What's a Dremel?

7. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

The card you linked too doesn't appear to be a FLEX edition (unless I have missed something). Being the case it still only has the ability to drive two DVI/HDMI monitors natively (due to only have two clock generators). The third monitor will have to be driven by an active DP to DVI adaptor.

8. Thermolance

Last edited: 17 Oct 2013
  9. Yeoo

Yeoo Minimodder

the first card you posted is a higher spec but cant do triple?

10. noizdaemon666

Every AMD card (and nvidia for that matter) from the current generations will do triple monitor. However AMD cards that aren't FLEX require you to use the DisplayPort which requires costly active adaptors to work properly when converting to HDMI or DVI etc.

11. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

Some amd cards come with a active dp to dvi adaptor, my asus 7970 did but my xfx didnt, not sure but i think powercolor also includes the adaptor

12. Thermolance

The first Card I posted can do triple monitor but on DVI,DVI and Display port.

The second Card I posted the Gigabyte does 3 monitors DVI, DVI, HDMI