Motherboards Installing a new motherboard

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by WhiteKnight226, 16 Nov 2013.

1. WhiteKnight226

WhiteKnight226 Minimodder

Tonight I installed a new mother board in my PC. It's a MSI Z77A-G45. I was constantly having crashes while gaming when I used newer video cards. I currently have an Asus R8 280X. A tech support company could find nothing wrong, so I decided to switch out boards to one with a PCI-E 3.0 slot.

My issue I am having is knowing if I have to do a fresh Windows 7 install. When I try to power up my PC, I get stuck in a restart loop. I get the point where it says "Starting Windows" before the PC restarts and I have to choose the option to start windows normally.

Thanks for reading!

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Yes you will need to reinstall Windows. Assuming SATA mode is the same as your old board in BIOS (AHCI or IDE). It's quite rare to change chipset on Intel boards and not have to reload.

3. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

With my 2700k. I have used four different boards from a p67 sabertooth to a maximum formula v ad's I have never reinstalled Windows. Maybe I have been lucky. But with the problems you have been having I would do a fresh install.

4. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

And install 8.1 as well. Better support all round!

5. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

He's using win 7

Anyway some people do get away with not reinstalling the OS but tbh it's bad practice and normally leads to problems later on.

6. WhiteKnight226

WhiteKnight226 Minimodder

I went with another MSI board hoping I would not have to do a fresh install. I have like 30 games installed I don't want to have to put back on lol