1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Parvum Systems Project Magnus - 19th April - i51 LAN

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by imersa, 19 Sep 2013.

?

Which coolant for Magnus?

1. Clear : Clear

7 vote(s)
    13.7%
  2. Pastel White : Oil Black

34 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Translucent Red : Clear

10 vote(s)
    19.6%
  1. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Thanks hero.

For people following we should have a tasty update Thursday-Friday. Going to stay late at the warehouse Thursday and mill the 25mm block ;D

2. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

This is looking properly lovely. I'll check back Thursday :)

3. OcSurfe

OcSurfe Uber Noob

looking good J,

Gunna have to pop down again after Xmas, hopefully it will have some blood!

4. el2k

el2k Modder

Nice job with the res mounting. Look forward to seeing it filled.

5. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Going to cut the 25mm today... maybe get the update up sooner but... could all blow up :D

Defo mate! Be good to see you again, have a good Xmas bud.

Thanks man. Just want it running now!

6. cool_dude

cool_dude Minimodder

So are there any plans of an ATX case to buy?

7. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Have to sadly delay... the update is physically complete but I wont have time to edit/write/upload till tomorrow eve!

Yeah we'd like to think so! This is a working prototype for us. Testing a number of things like rigidity, strength when up-scaling our work. We would love to eventually sell a full range but these things come with time.

8. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Two custom milled reservoirs

Sponsors/Support:
    [​IMG]

Favorite time again!

Really big section of the build out of the way now. Been preparing for this for a little while now over the last few updates. Had to really ensure everything was going to work first time. Due to the lack of any time and only being able to work on this build in personal time it really meant we had one shot.

As with anything first to tool path the drawing:

[​IMG]

Set up the material. 25mm thick block of joy:

[​IMG]

Warmup the CNC!

[​IMG]

I think we are ready:

[​IMG]

With the little help of some tools; fitting the 2mm cutter into one of the cones:

[​IMG]

We are really in business now:

[​IMG]

Removed the backing. This was to double check some depths. Even with a CNC as expensive as this there as still some variables. The material for one can vary slightly; even if its 0.1mm etc. Same goes for the bed. Currently we are using a MDF bed rather than a Medex bed. This means it can have a little play in bed height from one area to another. We are talking TINY amounts but these have to be taken into account when milling something like a reservoir:

[​IMG]

Two reservoirs will be cut from the same block:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Another tool used for the job. Using 6mm cutters here to breeze through the block:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We actually shot a video showing a little of the cut process and the finished items. Will get that edited over Christmas and post it as soon as I can.

Total cut time for both pieces was about an hour and 40 minutes. Not bad all things considered. The 6mm feed speeds made fast work of the acrylic!

Some quick shots of the finished items:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next update we will install the O rings, tap the reservoirs and give them a little test run. Rather fun that will be :D

Please check back soon. Will do our best to get the test run update up over Christmas!

Happy Christmas everyone. I hope you all have a few days off at least! Try not to spend it ALL on the forums :D

Egami likes this.
  9. kier

kier -----------------

:jawdrop: what can I say, just :jawdrop:

10. Egami

Egami Why is the dremel on fire?

I'm not saying that anyone can have tools but the magic you guys create with them is just... just :jawdrop:

11. hero1

hero1 Minimodder

Wow, awesome stuff.

12. KoSoVaR^

KoSoVaR^ Professional Sleever & Modder

wow :O
    Simply amazing !

13. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Thanks Kier!

Haha true, I suppose regardless of the machine it takes time to learn a number of things. It's great to be so at one with our material of choice now :D

Thank you both! Hope to post another update over Christmas break :)

14. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Custom Reservoir 1 Leak Test

Sponsors/Support:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

DON'T WORRY! A little more update before Christmas :D

First up we install the O Ring. Very fiddly. The recess is the exact size however its hard not to ever so slightly stretch an O Ring when installing:

[​IMG]

Next I'd like to highlight how we will mount this vertical reservoir/chamber. It was a nice little touch I think. Removing a section from the 25mm thick block large enough to fit the bolt head. Then installing the bolts to the reverse of the lid:

[​IMG]

This shows the little technique nice:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With all the lid bolts installed we should be water tight:

[​IMG]

With the G1/4" tap holes tapped we can install some XSPC fittings for a nice test. No problems with these threads, really chunky and solid:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next the scary part of course. Couldn't have been more confident but with everything that you put this much time into there are always a few nerves on testing.

Test setup an old D5 with Alphacool top, just using one of the XSPC res' for ease of filling. Connected each chamber one to another with a bit of tubing just to test both chambers:

[​IMG]

Filling with some coolant:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We have success!

Loop has been running for about 5 hours now with no problems. Tested it on its side and will leave vertical for some hours this evening.

Reservoir number two testing when we are back from Christmas. Should be able to post an update 30-31st along with a video we made of the full process and end result :D!

Happy Christmas.

15. KithKhan

KithKhan A dremel is all you need.

Put those little nickel-plated square screw-in thingies on your modding supplies site! I bet a lot of people working with acrylic would be up for some!

16. coolmiester

coolmiester Coolermaster Legend

Recessed nuts :eeek:

Seriously though........great update, love it :thumb:

17. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Thanks for the heads up! We've probably had 20 emails now and it's something we do want to do. At the moment the problem is we are having them made in such huge quantities but each time to fulfill orders. We can't currently sell something we never have enough of. We already have a couple of thousand made at a time but its still never enough when you use 12 in each case. Soon as we get bigger we will expand the store!

:d glad you approve sir! having you stick your head in here of course means the world. Everything going as smooth as it is iSeries can't come faster!

As for a quick update; I've been away in Somerset for Christmas. Back to the Parvum warehouse Monday however! Will be test filling the second res then getting them installed! Should really start to move forward on this then. The PSU should also land Tuesday so exciting times!

Si_the-dude likes this.
  18. Si_the-dude

Si_the-dude Techaholics Anonymous. 0 days clean

Looking forward to the next big update dude! :D

Hope you had a good Christmas mate, I've just got back from staying with family to find a package of goodies waiting for me. You are a hero!

19. OcSurfe

OcSurfe Uber Noob

Ill stay available tomorrow in case emergency beers are needed for leaks!

20. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Will be posted up tomorrow no problem! Will get the work done after work tonight!

Christmas was really good, longest break I've had in a few years... of course it went far too fast! Ahh no problem, care package ;)!

No problems as of yet dude ;) feel free to visit soon tho??!