1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows 8.1 Update 1 to introduce shutdown button

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 25 Jan 2014.

1. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

i agree with Pliqu3011 computer illiterate people or people who do not want to use a computer but need to, they do not even Try look at the menu buttons so on windows 8 no labels and hidden functions is very bad for them type of users (they are more common then you think)

windows 8 is not performance issues thats fine (mostly but thats another topic) its a UI problem and why i just install startisback on any new windows 8 computer i setup as they will be coming from vista or win7 as it confuses them way to much and i would have to spend "my time" telling them and showing them how to use it when i can install a startmenu and return 90% of functionality back, as the other 10% you Have to use command line (WiFi lol no GUI to manage it) or the access some settings that are only in metro/RT settings (settings are split between windows 8 and RT)

the Hidden and No Text labels (that i find is more the issue) makes it very hard to use in some cases for new users, its like going from windows to Linux OS (even OSX for the most part is ok to use apart from crap mouse), windows 8 is like trying to use apple (ipad/iphone) IOS on a desktop that should be running OSX, it just does not work and why apple have not been stupid to do it

and why is Office outlook 2013 so broken with IMAP (you have to keep spamming the send receive button so it downloads the emails in blobs of 100, Google it seems most say use outlook 2010 so IMAP works normal again)

2. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

What a foolish thing to say. Not just to critics of Win 8 but of all consumers in general.

MS is perfectly entitled to make their products as unusable and as painful to use as they desire. And I'm perfectly entitled to not buy their defective products. Which I haven't. And nor has any of my family, and nor has anyone who I have purchasing influence over.
    More over, as a non-consumer of Win 8 or 8.1, I am perfectly entitled to tell MS why I and others influenced by my purchasing decisions have chosen not to spend money on any MS products lately.
    Those machines/users that could make the switch have moved over to flavours of Linux, and those machines/users tied to MS have remained on Win 7 and will not be moving.

And it seems that MS is getting the message from all the "self-entitled attitudes" of Win 8 critics, and their refusal to purchase a product that doesn't meet their requirements, because they are rolling back on their poor design choices.
    MS knew Win8 would drop on users like a fat stinker because everybody told them so during the beta, but with MS, hubris is a defining trait and they thought by using their dominant position they could force the issue and bring everyone to heel.
    After all, it worked with Ribbon in Office didn't it? Well, mostly, except that at my previous workplace Libre Office was an option that a good many users were taking advantage of. At home as well.

I cannot believe MS was so deluded that they thought that businesses would want Win 8, but how else can you explain that Win 8 is a thing that exists? As an experiment one of our SMEs at work tried out a Win 8 install just to see how it/we could cope. Badly, was the answer.

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

So is this Windows 8.1.1? 8.11?

/3.1x throwback.

But what about the: "It is now safe to turn off your computer"

/95 throwback

Anymore?

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It's the Windows 95 ritual (It's now safe to turn off your computer) that has people conditioned to look for a way to turn off the PC from the GUI, rather than just poking the power button. :p

5. loftie

loftie Multimodder

So you'd rather I encourage people who buy a product they dislike to continue to use it while constantly moaning about/hating it? Instead of, you know, switching to something they'd enjoy using?

6. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

Well at least we dont have to park heads any more :D

7. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

I seriously tried windows 8.1 for some time, then i had no choice but to re-install windows 7. There were so many things that were broken beyond recognition that i don't want to get into.

8. Nexxo

God, yes! Harddisks learned to self-park a few years before I got my first PC, luckily.

9. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

First thing that came into my mind when I saw the title...

Yes there are other very easy ways to shut the system down, but honestly, the option to create a shutdown tile without any additional software or messing about should've been there from the very first release of Windows 8.

10. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

So is this foolish comment Number Two? Your argument now is that people who buy Win 8 and not like it should basically shut up and use something else? What world do you live in that dissatisfied consumers should shut up, suck up the loss of money spent on a substandard product, and buy something else?

What encouragement did you offer to use something else? You berated people for daring to express their dissatisfaction with a purchased product. You called them "self-entitled" when they dared to criticise deliberate design choices that make their computer experience difficult.

Most people don't choose to have Win 8 at all. Most people have it forced on them because their computer vendor likes the MS kick-backs for pre-installing their crap.
    When people do have the option to genuinely choose Win8, it would seem obvious from the spectacularly dire sales figures of Surface tablets that they choose not to have anything to do with it at all.

11. Nexxo

Sorry to interrupt, but the poor sales of Surface tablets had nothing to do with Windows 8 (I mean, do any of you guys actually ever pay attention to what is going on in the computer world?!).

12. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I wouldn't say Surface tablet sales are dire...
    http://www.kitguru.net/laptops/notebook/anton-shilov/sales-of-microsoft-surface-tablets-doubled-in-q4-2013/
    Even with this uptick in sales they still made a lost at least $39 million thought, if things keep going they will be in profit by Q2.

13. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

If you don't like something then either stop using it and use something else or just put up and shut up (also man up). You're moaning about an OS that you don't use, have you nothing better to do ? You sir come across as a pleb. Sick of people moaning about windows 8/8.1, if you don't like it, don't use it, simples. If you do use it and you don't like it then either fix the issue or just switch to a different OS.

14. Xir

Xir Modder

You guys are both right

15. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Use something else yes. I find generally if i'm not using/doing something I dislike, I don't feel the need to complain about it.

The world where you can

a) Walk into a shop and look at/try something before you purchase it.
    b) Where so much information is available online that some idea can be gained from a bit of research.
    c) The ability to DSR something.
    d) Get an alternative.

E.g. I've just bought myself a new phone, if I don't like it I'm going to return it and get another one.

I don't see the point of someone using W8 when it causes them aggravation/problems, when they could switch OS and live a happier life.

Actually I criticised the fact that Pliqu said what should and shouldn't be in the OS as well as the opinion of what is basic accessibility. I then encouraged them to install Linux since they themselves said they regret not doing so in the first place as it's close to the experience she was used to.

Still take issue with this whole forced thing. You're not forced to do anything. There was a news article on BT about HP reintroducing W7 as an option. Corky even mentions that from what he remembers, Lenovo and Dell already offer W7 as an option. Looking on Tesco, there are at least 100 W7 PCs, and none of that includes the possibility of a Mac, Linux, or a downgrade.

16. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

:wallbash:

Last edited: 27 Jan 2014
  17. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

I'm sorry, but someone really needs to post this:

[​IMG]

YEHBABY and Teelzebub like this.
  18. DC74

DC74 Doh!

Finally but erm too little too late, by the time they fix the issues with windows 8, Windows 9 will be here and everyone will migrate just as they did from Vista when 7 came out.

Learn the lesson Microsoft, stop telling people what they want and just listen to what they want. You'll end up with a better OS that the majority of people are happy with instead of something that is essentially going to sit on a shelf for eternity or become a doorstop.

19. Coltch

Coltch Minimodder

I only use 8.1 on my Netbook as it is 100 times better than the pile of c**p that is win 7 starter, never use the mouse to bring up the charms bar to shutdown - always use Alt+F4.

20. Nexxo

People don't know what they want:

Tags: Add Tags