1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Anyone play any Trading Card Games (TCG)?

Discussion in 'General' started by niro, 11 Mar 2014.

1. niro

niro What's a Dremel?

I've been playing Hearthstone (digital trading card game by Blizzard) and it's got me thinking of getting into playing an actual physical trading card game.

When I was younger I did try my hand at Magic as my cousin played, but he stopped playing shortly after. I also tried Yu-Gi-Oh, which I also liked, but no one to play with. I was thinking
    about going back to yu-gi-oh but been reading a lot that Konami are ruining the game for greed.

So I was wondering does anyone here play any trading card games (not digital ones)? and what do you like about them?

2. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I've played Magic off and on for several years. Quite a few friends also played so it was something we could all do together. Never played anything competitive, though. I enjoy the Magic system, simple on the surface with satisfying depth. Haven't played or bought any recently, it's just not worth it. Like all card games, it suffers from power creep where the new cards are better than the old to push sales.

3. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

I'm tempted to learn pokemon so I can play with my daughter, but she's only 6 1/2 so I think she may still be a little young and it doesn't seem to be an easy thing to get into.

4. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I VERY occasionally still play some MTG.

5. niro

niro What's a Dremel?

i've decided to give cardfight! vanguard a try

You might be surprised

6. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

I still play yu-gi-oh from time to time. Played for years, even played in the world championships in new York many years ago and got thrashed. Won many other local competitions though.

Played magic and duel masters a few times, could never get into them

7. suragh

suragh Derp

I use to play Magic, Yu-gi-oh and WoW and, use to volunteer as a referee at the local card store where I live.

I have a a huge tin full of cards which I no longer use which is a shame.. I might end up selling very soon to come to think about it.

8. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

Used to play MTG pretty seriously at one point but having two small children means that time and money intensive hobbies are rather challenging. It is still a wonderful game though and works so very well on so many different levels. I used to read Mark Rosewater's blog on a regular basis and the level of attention to detail that went into satisfying all tournament types and player types was seriously impressive.

9. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Used to collect YugiOh cards, never played though.

10. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

Played MTG, Yugioh and pokemon years ago (still have the cards lying around somewhere.

Best memories are playing MTG and getting wasted off 60yr old scotch for my 16th b-day and also managing to get a dragon tamer(?) as well as 2 dragon summoning horns in a yugioh match many years ago... instant summoning of 3 x blue eyed dragons and n earth dragon. what a rage quit by my friend for that =P

11. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

A good player can sort out 3 blue eyes no problem. The amount of people who I'd played in tournaments that base their deck on blue eyes ultimate dragon is ridiculous. I use(d) a D.D deck, removes from play, pretty vicious.

12. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I played Magic: The Gathering starting back around 1993 or 1994. I played up until around 1998 or so. It was good fun, but I started getting burned out on how fast the game was expanding, and all the increasingly complicated rules that came with it. Also, a lot of the guys I played with aspired to the pro tour, so the competition was rarely friendly. That kind of wore on me a bit.

I still have all my cards stashed in a box, and every now and then I take them out to look through some of the collections I had. I was a big fan of the artists Quinton Hoover and Drew Tucker, so I had collected all of their cards up to the time I quit the scene (well, nearly all - Quinton illustrated the unique "Proposal" card that M:TG creator Richard Garfield used to propose to his then girlfriend).