TVs Is it worth buying a 4k 65" TV for my new house?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dead beat, 12 May 2014.

1. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

I'm tempted to go with the advice of Mister_Tad here. I expect I will be looking to upgrade in 2-3 years anyway, so it seems it would make sense to go 1080p now and then upgrade when 4K is more mature.

I think I really need to see a few sets in the flesh, from the viewing distance that is appropriate to my living room.

2. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Good call. I've seen them in shops so you should be able to have a gander.

3. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Was in Harrods yesterday, had a look around the technology section. Wow the 4K are phenomenal, I think I stood staring at the Samsung 85" one for a good 10 minutes, it was genuinely mesmerising. The "smaller" sets were also very impressive though, and looking at the 1080p sets the differences are pretty stark. My parents are in a similar situation in that they're moving and want to pick up a new TV, 65" also. They've settled on the idea of going 4k, but likely next year so as to allow things to mature a little.

The lack of content is bloody annoying right now though, I'm sick of how useless the channel providers are. The simple fact that 1080p isn't the standard resolution currently is simply pathetic. It's pushed me to use online services single handed.

Definitely go and have a look at the TVs in person, can make all the difference.

4. rollo

rollo Modder

In the UK at least with all content either streamed or sky getting above 1080p is hard going. 4k Streaming is improving but its not for all content so you gotta hope what you want to watch is done in 4k. Even Skys HD is not all 1080p content.

Even most 4k blue rays are just upscalled jobs. ( with a huge price to match deluxe with all extras on amazon for most blue rays is sub £15 for a 4k blue ray most are £23 + with no extras at all.)

5. blueviper11

blueviper11 What's a Dremel?

55" Curved Smart 3D UHD 4K LED TV SAMSUNG UE55HU8500 £2699, 65"UE65HU8500 £4000.
    I think 55" good buy now n you save £1300 on 65". Or wait after Xmas can be cheap!

6. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

There's a pretty huge difference between 55" and 65" actually, around 40% more screen area.

You can save even more on a 42", but then that's not the point of the thread - if the OP wants 65" the only thing that's going to scratch that itch is 65"... or 75" or 84" :worried:

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I was in EXACT position as you a few weeks ago. Waited for 2014 TV's and see if any new 4k worth buying. Problem is lack of content and standards are still coming out. What if in a year's time new TV's will need DVB-T3 to watch 4K contents? you'll be stuck with a set-top box.

I ended up buying last year's Samsung 55F8000 as stock clearance, happy with the image quality, not happy with black levels (or shall I say grey levels) but that comes with LCD technology. I sit over 5 meters away from the TV anyway, so I am even having trouble telling between 720p and 1080p.

End of the day technology is always advancing. At current point in time, best way forward is to buy a TV you'll be happy with for next 2 years or so, then buy OLED together with 4K contents.

TL;DR: OLED screen as investment? hell yes :D 4K LED backlit? not worth the box they come in.