Networks Wireless Powerline or Repeater or Better Router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Amjedm, 13 Sep 2014.

1. Amjedm

Amjedm Minimodder

I'm helping a relative out with a wireless range issue he has - unfortunately, signal from his router (some EE BrightBox?) doesn't stretch far enough.

Router is in his bedroom (front of the house) and the garage behind the house doesn't get signal..

I bought a TP-Link TL-WR702N Wireless N Nano Router/Range Extender/TV, Gaming, Set-top Adapter with USB Charger but unfortunately, this doesn't extend the signal enough.

So basically, should I invest in

a) better range extender?
    b) wireless powerline adapter set
    c) better router

Max budget is around £40

Thank you in advance

2. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Wireless power-line adapter set should work fine does your garage not have a power socket? read lots of reviews, and stick to the known brands though.

Last edited: 14 Sep 2014
    Amjedm likes this.
  3. Amjedm

Amjedm Minimodder

I'm going to take my non wireless Netgear ones to check if they work - I read somewhere about the power being on the same ring..

I think the router (Asus Dark Night) option looks good but quite expensive and the repeater option - one with aerials might still be on..

Thanks.

4. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

They don't need to be on the same ring - I've never had any issues running a powerline network between upstairs and downstairs.
    If you're thinking about aerials and wifi, could you put an external aerial and run the lead through a wall to the router? Or try the Pringles cantenna option?

5. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

they don't need to be on the same ring, just the same consumer unit, but even that varies from location to location, I've had houses with 2 consumer units work fine( the homeplugs not on same consumer unit), and most don't work at all.