1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Pc upgrade time - what to buy?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nukeman8, 5 Oct 2014.

1. nukeman8

nukeman8 What's a Dremel?

So recently brought Middle earth - shadow of mordor and was looking forward to playing it, of course i didnt check the min specs and lo and behold my gpu is woefully outdated.
    So while im in the mood to upgrade i thought i take a look at the rest of my pc.
    Currently running

i7 920
    6gb ram
    geforce gtx 260

i have sub £300 to spend, what would be recommendations for upgrades? Would it even be worth upgrading the i7?
    Currently i was thinking of getting a gtx 970 and upping to 12gb of ram which i can get for just over £300.

Thoughts?

2. johnim40

johnim40 Minimodder

Yes the 970 will definitely give a needed boost to the system
    The ram wont make much differnce for gaming but will help in normal day stuff

3. davidbrown1988

davidbrown1988 Minimodder

Switching out that 260 for a 970 will make the most difference.

For the average gamer the 970 is the smart choice at the moment. *Wishes hadn't bought 770*

RAM wise a few of the more recent console ports have min specs at 6gb ram with recommended being 8gb.

Dead Rising 3 being an example. That being said I haven't seen it use more than 2.5gb on max settings so these figures appear to be grossly inflated.

If you only use your machine for gaming I'd wait to see if your RAM is limiting you in any games before dumping the extra money for 12gb. You'd be better served spending the money on an SSD (if you don't have one).

4. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

+1 to the 970, great value card, the rest of the core of your system sounds pretty solid still.

If you've got money left over and you want something to buy, then a SSD if you haven't got one already is definitely a good shout.

5. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Looking at what you have I'd say just change the graphics card - the rest of it is fine. I was thinking of upgrading my own rig, but to be honest when it really doesn't and hasn't struggled with anything I've given it I shan't actually bother. Was looking to spend double what you were going to and I really don't think I'd see much of a difference.

6. nukeman8

nukeman8 What's a Dremel?

Thanks all for the replies. I might still end up upping the ram as alot of games have 6gb+ as recommended and even thou no games seem to be using it I cant imagine it will be that long before they do.

I recently got a ssd and im still amazed at boot time improvements heh.

7. Rapp

Rapp Minimodder

Haha I done the exact same thing as you here I am thinking more towards replacing everything but know just getting a gtx 970 would do the trick.