Networks BT compatible modem/router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sgoaty, 12 Oct 2014.

1. Sgoaty

Sgoaty Minimodder

Hi Im looking for some help finding a good BT compatible modem/router.

My Netgear DGN2200 N300 has started to to be very slow so I fished out my old home hub 3 from the loft which is a lot faster but it keeps dropping in and out.

I got a home hub 5 from BT a while ago but It had problems connecting with airplay and it was pretty slow so i sent it back so im not really looking for a BT option.

Can anyone recommend me a router?

Thanks
    Scott

2. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I just got a second hand TP-Link from ebay which seems to be doing the job okay. Has a lot of extra features too, but since I've been a bit busy, I haven't started playing with them yet. It's a W8980 from memory - I did some research before I got it and was satisfied enough. I don't feel it's worth paying top whack for a first hand one necessarily and most of the decent ones seem to be either router only (no modem) or were out of my budget.

3. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

are you on adsl or fttc?

4. Sgoaty

Sgoaty Minimodder

I found an old Thompson Speed touch in the loft i got from aol nearly 10 years ago i plugged that in and my connection issues are solved but I still want to get something newer.

Thats the exact model Ive been looking at Modsquid because Argos do them (£65) so its convenient for me to get. Do you have a home network? basically all i want to be able to do is stream music via airplay stream movies from my desktop to my laptop and general internet use (games included)

I live out in the country Rich so Im on ADSL

My new phone has AC connectivity but i dont really see how it will be any advantage getting an AC router for what i need. Or will it?
    Thanks
    Scott

5. RevDarny

RevDarny Minimodder

I've been using a linksys X3000 instead of my BT router but you can use any ADSL router with BT's set up you just need to get BT's ADSL connection details and set the MTU correctly.

Here are the details

If you have BT Broadband but want to use your own router (i.e. a third party model not supplied by BT) then you will need to configure the hardware settings manually.

Refer to the manufacturers instructions for guidance on how to access the configuration settings on the router, then use the following values to configure the router for BT Broadband:

Network ID, Username, PPP Username, Login or Login Username: broadband.user@btbroadband.com [note 1]
    Password: None required [note 2]
    Encapsulation: PPPoA or PPPoATM
    Multiplexing: VC-based or VC Mux
    VPI: 0 (zero)
    VCI: 38
    Authentication: CHAP
    Modulation: G.DMT
    DNS: auto

Note 1: Your router uses a BT Broadband username to connect to the broadband service. This username may be anything@btbroadband.com, anything@btinternet.com or anything@hgxx.btinternet.com. This username allows you to connect to BT Broadband. It should not be confused with your email address and password which are separate.

Note 2: The BT Broadband network does not need a password, however some routers do insist a password is entered. If a password is required we recommend you enter 'password', and confirm as required.

Some of the terminolology shown may vary from the above depending on the make of router you are using: sometimes the encapsulation and the encapsulation protocol may appear as one setting together (usually described as PPPoA VC based).

6. Sgoaty

Sgoaty Minimodder

Im thinking something from Billion or Asus is the best bet?

7. Rapp

Rapp Minimodder

I swapped out my BT Homehub 3 with a Asus RT-N66U and have been really impressed with it.

I've had it for about 18 months now and only needed to power cycle it once during that time, I have only found a couple downsides so far which are

1. Changing some settings will restart the router when you wouldn't think it would need it
    2. Had to play around with some of the settings to get some of the BT TV internet channels to work.
    3. Price

Also quite some nice custom firmware available but haven't needed it as it has lots of features already built in.

8. Sgoaty

Sgoaty Minimodder

That looks good but it's not adsl is it?
    Thanks
    Scott

9. Rapp

Rapp Minimodder

No it isn't sorry didn't see that you were using ADSL I have FTTC, there is this ADSL version which is a bit older Asus DSL-N55U but that seems to have reviews like marmite.

10. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who