1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Need a new chair

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DLDeadbolt, 10 Nov 2014.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

The one I linked to is a high back as I need neck support due to a medical condition. But my suggestion stands have a wander down to Staples if you have reasonable sized one.

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

The Ikea Markus chair ticks the boxes and actually seems to receive fairly good write-ups in good company (e.g. it's pretty decent for the price compared to Steelcase, Herman Miller et al... for the price, though).

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20103101/

I had one for a few years and it held up pretty well and was comfortable for fairly long stints, but not necessarily the sort of chair I'd like to spend 50+ hrs per week sat on and it lacks fine adjustability, which is ultimately why I replaced it with something else.

It's an all metal construction, so you won't have any issues with bits breaking off. The faux-leather armrests and headrest will likely be the first parts to show their age (the seat is real leather, and looked new the whole time)

It's worth thinking long and hard about the budget though, as a decent chair can make such a difference when you're spending long stints in front of a PC. As Nexxo mentions, the Aeron is pretty popular and worth looking at (though not for everyone, I don't get on with them at all) as are the rest of the Herman Miller range, and their popularity means that there's actually a fairly decent second hand and refurbed market out there (especially for the Aeron). You'll be spending markedly more than £150 for any of them, but consider that they come with a 12 year warranty and then work out the total cost over time - i.e. one superb £600 chair for life or swapping out middling £150 chairs every couple years?

Last edited: 10 Nov 2014
  3. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I favour the Ikea Alrik, helps prevent back problems by forcing you to stand or kneel. Anything except sitting in it. Even extreme nipple torture.

4. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Yeah I hate it trying to get rid.

5. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I'm right there with you on this one, I've always wanted a high-back + headrest chair that's comfy but have never found one. Ever.

I blew like £270 on a 'proper' ergonomic office chair and it's honestly the most uncomfortable, badly designed piece of crap. The shop said that once the gas canister bits have been assembled they can't be taken apart, and that they therefore couldn't accept any returns.

I wasn't sure if that was legally enforceable, but I'll be damned if I'm going back there again, either way.

6. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

What do you all think of the DXRacer series?

7. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

How about something like a 'manager's chair'. Normally high back, with a headrest. Some are mesh, some are leather. It's the type of chair you're looking for by the sounds of it.

I've got one, no brand or anything. Bought it from a used furniture shop for £50, had it like three years; so damn comfortable.

8. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Pricey.

9. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

^ This. For what you get with regards to the adjustments available they seem very overpriced. I guess you're paying for the looks rather than the ergonomics with them.

10. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

After buying relatively cheap chairs for years I bought a s/hand Herman Miller Mira for £325, think they cost around £800 new, Miller chairs are regarded by many as premier class chairs but that's a matter of opinion.

The Mira is a good chair and very adjustable, well made (nothing has broke on mine or feels like it will) new chairs come with a ten year warranty which they should for the price, many parts can be individually replaced if need be, like seats and rams.

Personally I find the perforated seat back, which is quite hard, can be uncomfortable especially if just wearing a t-shirt, the back support being full of holes, stays cool in hot weather but it's not perfect, the suspension mesh seat design works well and is much cooler than solid padded seats, my other main complaint is the arm rests are too firm, they are padded but don't give at all with just arm weight on them and can become uncomfortable.

A good chair but a required taste and anyone considering one should really try one before buying, Miller chairs are about correct seating posture rather than leather and deep padding and they can seem uncomfortable at first, It took a while to get used to the Miller and as with all chairs they need to be correctly set up for the individual using them and once I got the seat arm to desk height correct for me my feet were not firmly on the floor so I use a piece of wood, only an inch thick, as a foot rest to correct that and I can now sit in it for hours when gaming and not suffer any aches and pains, which should be the main priority.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 13 Nov 2014
  11. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

My chair has just arrived and thanks TNT driver for allowing me a puny 60 year to hump it upstairs.
    As it is a birthday gift I am such a child when it comes to not opening presents, which this is, until the day in question arrives I have covered the rather large box and the cat has now claimed it as yet another bed.It is not as if she already did not have enough places she has deemed her sleeping areas.

12. Williz

Williz Minimodder

Ikea Marcus is good

13. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Fingers crossed I have a buyer for my chair at work. I see staples have a sale on now

14. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

They have but the sale chairs were all pretty rubbish. Looks like they are trying to get rid of the ones that don't normally sell so well.