1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia sued over GeForce GTX 970 specifications

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 23 Feb 2015.

1. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Mods are people too. Just people with hammers :D

2. somidiot

somidiot Minimodder

I am not disappointed in my GTX 970 purchase.

3. silk186

silk186 Derp

I understand suing nVidia but I don't really agree with the case against Gigabyte. I'm not sure about what kind of agreement they have with nVidia and if they would have been permited to print different specs.

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Maybe you're looking at graphics cards from a geek's perspective, at least i would expect you're as you frequent BT, but without looking up figures i would say most graphics cards are not sold on their specs, at least not in the sense of segmented ram, L2 cache, and ROP count.

Most are sold on a price basis and maybe how much RAM they have, this is what mostly effects system builders and your average consumer.

Maybe they defend the product because their testing found those certain circumstances to be extremely rare, you only have to peruse the thread about the 970 memory segmentation to find that even with tests designed to highlight the problem (FCAT) most tech sites only found issues when you force the card to run at sub 25fps.

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Indeed. I doubt that even geeks know what the number of ROPs means in terms of performance, except for some vague notion that "moar = better". Oh, look, some abstract number turns out to be lower than the abstract number I was originally told. Even though this changed absolutely nothing about the performance of that card I was hitherto quite happy with, I will now sue nVIDIA for false advertising. :rolleyes:

6. jrduquemin

jrduquemin Minimodder

Neither am I. I replaced a GTX660Ti with one of these and it positively flies at maximum everything. No complaints from me :)

7. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

evolve at 1080p on ultra is having stuttering issue on the 970 but not the 980....

8. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Well - the 980 is the faster card! It figures, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Got any links ?

10. LatinSpirit

LatinSpirit Minimodder

All these "faulty" 970s going around....ill look after some of them...for testing...

11. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Ugh. Storm in a bloody teacup. I bet these people would never have encountered any issue with their card if they were unaware of the spec mistake. They don't even know what a ROP is or how a memory crossbar functions, all they know is that moar = better.

To use a car analogy, why would you get hung up on the horsepower rating being off by 5% if you bought the car on the premise it would do 0-60 in 5 seconds? It's not suddenly become any slower, it's as fast as the benchmarks showed it to be and it delivers the performance you expected from it.

12. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

For me, a ROP(e) is that :D

[​IMG]

13. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Not bad.

Meanwhile, very few tech review sites updated their original GTX970 articles to reflect the true features of the card. HardOCP did:
    http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/09/18/nvidia_maxwell_gpu_geforce_gtx_980_video_card_review/5

14. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

It looks dumb to my american eyes as well. The people who bought it to use checked reviews with benchmarks, and are receiving exactly the performance they were expecting.

The only people who would be impacted negatively are people who bought it solely to have the bigger numbers, and I have no sympathy for someone that buys hardware just so they can brag about a number.
    I'm surprised the dude isn't claiming damages for emotional distress because AMD users are making fun of him. And now that I've said that, he probably will.

The RAM thing is that there's two segments of RAM on the 4GB cards. The main 3.5 GB segment runs at full bandwidth, the remaining 0.5 GB is at a reduced bandwidth and thus moves data slower.

People trying to start trouble are claiming that there's "really" only 3.5 GB of RAM because the remainder either can't be used(untrue, but some software claims this due to the RAM being segmented), or generates a major performance hit if it's used(which is possible, but doesn't appear to be true in practice).

15. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

amazingly especially when in SLI it shows the limitations not only in fcat but in gameplay - its painfully stuttering at times - whereas a good number of posters claim otherwise.

its on a subreddit - pages and pages on there

16. Jinjue

Jinjue What's a Dremel?

Well......

I was one of the first on board with the GTX970 and I must admit, I was pissy-pants-girly excited about it.

I read all of the reviews, basked in the glory of the cards performance and bought it on the back of that. I punted for a Gigabyte GTX970 G1.

True to form, it was a beast. From day one.....it performed amazingly.....all games at 1080 maxed, silky smooth.

It went in the post back to OcUK today. Dark. Day.

A good deal of people here bashing anyone who returned the card on the back of the internet-witch hunt that came about after the memory problems were spotted and for some of us it is simple.

Mud.

Sticks.

It doesn't matter one iota that the card performed the very same as it did on day one, amazingly.

Some of us, count on strong resale value of products we buy to allow us to stay as close to the top of the tree as we can.

No amount of talk about the performance being the same as day one is going to wipe away the bad taste and hugely negative press online about this card. You would be an utter donkey to think that will not affect the cards resale value down the line.

So.....here i am......preparing myself for the misery and comedy value of playing BF4 using on-board graphics....until AMD do something. Because for now.....green is tainted for me and the only cards I have ever had in my life, have been from nvidia. I am 37.......LOTS OF CARDS.

Jinj

17. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Good. For. You. :)

18. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

If Nvidia get away with this I'll be very disappointed if their next new big shiny doesn't claim to have ONE MILLION ROPs, just for lolz.

19. Jinjue

Jinjue What's a Dremel?

Thanks. Princess.

20. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

For a second time, links ?