Education Irrational fears. Do you have any?

Discussion in 'General' started by Kronos, 1 Dec 2014.

1. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I've always been nervous / cautious. I just need the practice to get more comfortable. I don't have my license but I move cars around my drive-way all the time, and when I used to work at the mechanic shop, they let me move the cars around (except for the standard ones, since I don't know how to drive stick). I do need to get my license again just because of how important it is for work now (assuming I go into business analysis or project management, I'll have to travel somehow). I know I can drive, and when I was I never had any "OMG" moments, I just overthink it far too much.

Edit: I do recall my driving instructor telling me if I took my road test I'd pass no problem, and he did say I had a huge improvement from my first and last lesson. My mom also said as I drove more, I was more relaxed. Just need the practice to get more comfortable.

2. megamale

megamale Minimodder

Ha ha. Yes it is. The explanation could be that I am a fairly good skier (I used to compete). It gives me a sense of control over the vertigo. I remember stopping on top of a mountain with a gorgeous panorama with friends to have sandwiches. I had to eat with my skis on.

3. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I'm afraid of heights, I didn't use to be but after the steps collapsed on an oil storage tank that I used to climb once a week it put me off. It was one of those staircases that went round the side of the tank in a spiral so at one point it felt like you were suspended on nothing.

I'm trying to train myself out of the fear and go out on the upper viewing balcony of this a few times a week. I can stand right at the edge now.

[​IMG]

4. Xir

Xir Modder

Spiders....don't know why

5. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

Good on you for trying to push yourself past the fear.

6. phem0r

phem0r What's a Dremel?

Cockroaches..ughhh. Never seen one before but since moving to america and seeing one scurry across the floor, they freak me out

7. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

You should check out silverfish. They seem to come out in the summer here in Philly. Gross like cockroaches, but super fast with tons of legs that don't stop moving after you squish them.

8. Vognen

Vognen Minimodder

Skiing 100 km/h on the slope? Not a problem at all... Set foot in a semi-open area of off-piste with a few trees? No-the-f'in-nope.

Also sometimes I plan out imaginary fights at grocery stores while in the waiting line, just in case someone pulls out a machete or a gun

9. alfizzle

alfizzle Ooh aah just a little bit..

Not being in control of the situation im in / fear of the unknown. i also dont like bees, wasps, spiders i tend to try to swat them in an angry way rather than run away scared

10. phem0r

phem0r What's a Dremel?

I'm in Pittsburgh so maybe i'll see them this summer

11. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

I fear surprises (as in parties, guests, pranks, etc.), as strange as it may sound.

12. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

Have you been to the Andy Warhol Museum yet? I've been wanting to go but my budget has been tight and I haven't had any other reason to make my way over that direction.

13. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Thanks to a Reddit conversation, I have a new one: suddenly going blind whilst scuba diving in a submerged cave.

You're welcome, now it's your nightmare fuel too.

(Although technically it's quite rational, just highly improbable.)

14. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

and here was me thinking spelunking was a lark. :jawdrop: