News AMD reveals HPC APU roadmap, Zen multithreading

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 31 Mar 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. rollo

rollo Modder

hope the gpu release is the financial year and not the actual year as no new gpu before 2016 from AMD would not be good for the pockets of pc gamers around the world and how far behind would they be by the time it launched.

Not sure the server markets will buy into that power draw even for gpgpu compute as the scenarios where you can't fit a dedicated gpus is few and far between.

3. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

AMD shooting themselves in the heads again. 300w APU parts... absolute insanity. I can't think of anywhere that would be preferred over better performing, lower power draw, cooler running discrete GPU. With TDP so high, there is no way those should be going in 1u blades... so what is the point?
    Unless they can really pull out some serious performance at reasonable power consumption they might as well cut their losses and stop wasting resources trying to compete in the performance arena with intel. They simply can't.
    What does interest me is the ARM parts... if they can manage to push it with motherboards that can actually use SAS/sata (as in can connect 6+ disks), GBe nics, etc, that platform could be really attractive for file/media/web servers if they can nail the pricing.
    Useful connectivity has been sorely holding back ARM in the desktop/server segment. Crappy nettops that are basically tablets without screens, and overpriced poor performing prebuilt NAS boxes don't give me what I crave.

4. pearl.of.wisdom

pearl.of.wisdom montonies

300w is rather strange on 14 lpp finfet.... However that might be explained by a massive gpu... the rumour mill is now spouting 16core zens plus massive gpu...massive possibly meaning post-hawaii level gpus.
    Not intended for server racks though - the market is hinted in the name "hpc" extreme high end servers/wks/mpp setups. One thing is fore sure; contrary to a lot of nonsense posted all over the place, Zen
    is a very high performance core, and amd intended to get back into the server market in a big way. Highend desktop chips will presumably follow. Listen; amd's intention anyway is to produce chips which outperform intel by such a margin companies would have no option but to switch supplier. Whether they succeed is another matter: but don't listen to other idiots: 2016/2017 amd is coming back big, and with multiple releases, they are going to try and take intel's head off.