Storage WD 4TB Green S.M.A.R.T Issues

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Nicho133, 19 Mar 2015.

1. Nicho133

Nicho133 What's a Dremel?

Hey, I just bought a new WD Green 4TB a few days ago (WD40EZRX), and the Spin-Up Time reading in S.M.A.R.T has me concerned. The Worst value is 183, and the Current value is 237, the Raw Value is 5133.

Should the Worst value be this low for a new HDD? Should I take it back or is it nothing to worry about? My other older drives haven't had a Spin-Up Time with this much difference.

When I first got the HDD I put it in my external enclosure, the enclosure powered on but the LED kept on blinking and the BIOS wouldn't detect it, so I then put it in my PC and it worked fine. I'm not sure if the S.M.A.R.T value would have anything to do with this.

Thanks for anyone's help.

[​IMG]

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

It's absolutely nothing to worry about. I've never seen a SMART trip down to spin up time. I imagine (like most external enclosures) yours didn't support >2TB hard drives, hence it not being detected initially.

3. JamesRC

JamesRC Minimodder

Seconded, it's not that unusual and hasn't triggered a warning in the monitor.

If you nevertheless want to keep an eye on your drives, then Acronis has a good SMART monitor that'll run in the background and flag issues. It's no replacement for backups though :).

http://www.acronis.com/en-gb/personal/hard-drive-health/

4. Nicho133

Nicho133 What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the replies, as of today the Spin-Up Time Current is 195 and the worst is still 183, I've had the drive for about a month now and no issues so it should be good :)

5. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Isn't there a program that shows more useful information from the SMART numbers? Sure I remember reading about one a while ago.
    I mean, what does 237, 195 or 183 mean? :D

6. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Spin up time is rated in milliseconds. I suppose they could have called it start up time ms, like how they have power on hours and not just power on... shrugs.