1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Crucial M4 On It's Way Out??

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Pookie, 8 Jun 2015.

1. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Hey Everyone

I have been given an old M4 to do with as I please, my hopes are to get it going again but I think it has had its day?

[​IMG]

Before I flashed to the latest firmware it was running like a dog and wouldn't even format in Windows. But now it formats and and read and writes ok. Any idease if that SMART error can be resolved or should I just bin it?

Cheers :thumb:

EDIT: I contacted Crucial but the warranty has expired :(

2. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

Unexpected. I thought old SSDs went into read only, but that suggests it's reads that are the problem.

I don't have any advice, but how far out of warranty is it?

3. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Try sticking it in the freezer in a few plastic bags which are sealed. Leave it in there for 24-36 hours and then let it fully warm up for a day. That might bring some life back into it. I know it works on RAM modules, so no reason why it shouldn't on SSDs. :D

Although, the controller may be at fault here. The controller often dies far, far before the NANDs do.

4. Pookie

Thanks for the help guys. As instructed by Crucial I have left the drive plugged in over night without a SATA cable, this allows the built in garbage collection to run on the drive. The error in crystal is just the same but the drive is running faster again this morning.

Here is a crystal speed test screen grab (test run on a SATA2 Port!).....

[​IMG]

I think I will just bung Windows on it and take my chances :)

5. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I would run an ata secure erase on the disk. Sometimes you can get it back that way.

6. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Ooh, very interesting. I didn't know the drive could have been run down like that.

A secure erase should help too as Ivan said.

7. megadelayed

megadelayed What's a Dremel?

My M4 256GB also had a problem when it suddenly didn't boot one day, leaving it with only the power plugged in while I went for a shower seems to have brought it back to life and still running today. But I didn't have the SMART warnings like you though.

8. Pookie

In the end I just ended up using it for Steam. Windows did keep popping up warning me there was a problem with the drive, but I just selected to ignore and never remind me.

But Steam runs great from it! and if the drive dies then so be it :)