1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 8 Jun 2015.

1. workingclass

workingclass What's a Dremel?

Combat in the game is good if you study it a little, pay attention to it and familiarize yourself with how witchers are supposed to fight. It's not great, but it is good.

That aside, I had the most incredible videogame moment in this game two nights ago while exploring an area where I came out after a mission. I started noticing bodies and empty villages and everywhere I went I found more dead people. No quest activated,no messages or Geralt's thoughts, nothing. The further I explored into the area the tragedies on display were horrific. I found a dead woman lying in bed with her young son, her husband had hanged himself just outside their hut. I saw a woman sitting, with a sword through her neck and into the ground, which kept her upright in the sitting position, with her head tilted downwards. Everywhere I went the same horrific sight all around, mass suicides or murders, children and adults alike.

Still no messages or quests.

Eventually I came upon some living, and as I prepared myself for some sobbing stories, or at least some light upon what I had just seen, they attecked me. The names above them said ´Cannibals´.

Eventually, after having downright slaughtered dozens of those ****ers, I came upon a marker that said ´Bandit Camp´.

Single most moving gaming experience I've had, and there was not a single quest in sight.

2. j4ck3l

j4ck3l What's a Dremel?

Quality game, plenty of hours, side quests better than some main story games I've play as well !

3. TheDarkSide

TheDarkSide What's a Dremel?

I for one thought the combat was actually pretty damn good!

4. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

best RPG ever made, or that's until CDPR make another game...

5. t5kcannon

t5kcannon Minimodder

Witcher 3 certainly looks good, but before spending £40 perhaps I should try Witcher 2 again, and see if I can learn to like that combat system.

6. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

7. t5kcannon

t5kcannon Minimodder

8. DraigUK

DraigUK Minimodder

£17 on Kinguin

9. jbvertexx

jbvertexx What's a Dremel?

Thanks for this review - I've been eagerly waiting for it!

I have not played yet - only watched Hodi's play-through series. I agree with everything said, but there are two flaws in my opinion that nearly break the overall experience:

1. Monsters - I agree with your assessment on the boss fights, but the everyday monster encounters are simply ridiculous in my opinion. Creatures such as Foglets and Drowners are over-done, unimaginative humanoids that emerge from no-where and like to hang out in bunches of about a half-dozen. It would have been better to have fewer encounters with more imaginative non-humanoid creatures that attack with greater surprise and are harder to beat.

2. Looting - Looting is broken when you can take everything from a house when the owner who just asked you to leave is standing right there.

Other minor quibbles include the fact that quests are overly spoon-fed, with not just markers and path-lines but also all of the colored highlights revealing loot and quest objects. Also the wind, hair and other effects have not quite been refined enough and are a bit over-done IMO.

Otherwise, I've had a hard time finding a game that would take my interest away from Skyrim (yes, still playing, though I spend more time messing with mods, trying to get hundreds of them them to work together, than actually playing). Finally, Witcher 3 could be the one.

All that said, I really wish the game creators could build-in a setting that eliminates some of the more mature content during game-play. This is a gripe I have against gaming in general, not just Witcher 3. The content isn't that bad in this game, something I would be fine with my 14 year-old son playing. But with my youngest son being 8, I won't be buying this game for our household. This is just my opinion - not trying to start up a big debate on appropriate vs. inappropriate content.....

Last edited: 9 Jun 2015
  10. John_T

John_T Minimodder

I literally don't understand this comment. The game is clearly rated 18, so why would you want them to produce a version that's OK for an 8 year old? Aren't there enough non-18 rated games to play?

Would you want 18 rated films and TV shows to be re-made for kids as well? Game of Thrones should be good for about 10 minutes an episode...

11. jbvertexx

jbvertexx What's a Dremel?

Yeah - as I've watched more of the game, there's a hell of a lot more than 5% of content makes up the 18 rating.

Pretty awesome game though. The more you get into it, the better it gets. I have a Netflix-like addiction going on with Hodi's video series. I like the fact that he doesn't do any commentary - perfect for this game.

12. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

For me, the game is in many ways absolutely fantastic, BUT for the at times simply awful movement bugs, and the way the character can all too often become stuck and immovable on such notoriously, horrendously adhesive objects such as boxes, or posts, or 1-brick-high walls This quite frankly is an enormous pain in the ass, especially when his happens almost off camera and you cant get out in time to avoid a death at the hands of a free floating bad guy, necessitating another lengthy reload and having to sit through the bloody intro scenes from an old Dandelion again (please bring a 'skip' option for these!!!)

13. Poty

Poty What's a Dremel?

14. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

^ Are your posts going to consist of anything other than links to websites selling games?

Tags: Add Tags