1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice micro atx vs full size?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thelaw, 19 Jun 2015.

1. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

So it seems my motherboard has crapped out as it wont post after changing a SSD to a newer/bigger one.

My question is since that full size LGA1155 boards are really expensive given they do not make them any more can i just use a micro-atx...what is the difference other than physical size and do i have to get a different gaming case?

Will i be able to run two cards on SLI on a micro ATX?

Anything else i need to consider as i will be using the parts from my build in the sig just changing boards?

2. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

They're smaller but any case that supports ATX mobos should also support m-ATX (I would guess it will as I think the holes are the same, just doesn't use the bottom set). Obviously get one with the chipset you want and the features (SATA etc), and whether you can run SLI will depend on whether the board has two PCI-E slots and if it supports it.

Or you could just source a second hand ATX replacement.

3. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Did you try the old SSD , it could be the new one is dodgy.

And the answer to the 2nd question is I ran SLi quite happily on a gene V with out a single problem.

The problem you may have is finding a decent mobo.

4. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

There is no difference in anything other than size. Most gaming Micro-Atx boards like the Gene series will run SLI happily. You shouldn't have a problem if the chipsets are the same, windows might ask you to re-validate your licence, but that's normally a pretty quick phone call to microsoft.

The good thing about having Micro-Atx is small, more compact cases. I use a TJ08-E and it's a nice case, quiet. I did fancy an even smaller case though.

5. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

Yeah mate..plugged the old one in..even if was a dodgy SSD...it should have posted and got to bios...i cant even get that far.

6. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

7. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

8. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

opps damn..will go have another look...any suggestions anyone for a reasonably priced M-ATX lga1155 board that is sli capable and able to take 4x4gb of ram?

Last edited: 20 Jun 2015