1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by batsman, 6 Aug 2003.

1. batsman

batsman the quiet one

Been locking at getting some RAM for a new box this week,

choices are as follows

all twin mos and 256Mb

pc3200 CL2.5 without winbond

pc3200 CL2.5 with winbond

pc3200 CL2 without winbond

pc2700 CL2.5 with winbond

pc2700 CL2 without winbond

pirces differnce is minor so not really a problem, question is what is going to be the difference in speed between the CL2 pc2700 and the CL2.5 pc3200, and how much faster will the pc3200 CL2 be than the pc2700 CL2

Thanks for the help

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

3200 2.5 with winbond.

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Agreed here - that should be some nice RAM :)

4. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

Yep, that's widely regarded as pretty damn good RAM and it works well for me :)

5. batsman

batsman the quiet one

What so the 3200 winbond is going to be faster than the 3200 with out but with CL2?

6. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

Latencies and timings really have f-all effect when you're running your memory at fast speeds. The Winbond chips perform so much better than whatever TwinMOS put on their other sticks (Samsung IIRC) in overclocking conditions that the latency doesn't matter one bit.

7. NiHiLiST

Yep, CAS 2.5 to CAS 2 gives you a difference equivalent to about a 3MHz clock increase in real world performance. And since the Winbond stuff overclocks so well it's more than worth it.

8. batsman

batsman the quiet one

also it will be going on a n force 2 ie dual channel make any difference?

wont be going for a matched pair set i will be getting 2 of the same stick

9. NiHiLiST

Matched pair sets are a money-grabbing gimmick to be honest. You're practically guaranteed that the sticks were next to each other on the production line if you just buy two normal ones at the same time. Plus since they'll be both with Winbond chips anyway they'll definately work with each other.

10. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

Yep, sometimes matched pairs are slightly cheaper than buying two of the same but other than that there's no advantage whatsoever, oh and Komplett don't sell TwinMOS w/ Winbond as a pair :p

11. drunkenmaster

drunkenmaster What's a Dremel?

Just to point out, twinmos cas 2.5 rated chips, have done pretty well overclocking for a lotta people. If they are samsung chips, which i don't think they are, the m-tecs are m-tec obviously. If the cas 2 ones are samsung, i'd get them, OCZ and corsair pc3700 is samsung chips now.

I assume samsung with voltage works very well these days.

Either way, i don't know anyone that has used the cas 2 rated twinmos own, it may easily clock better than the winbond, or it may not, worth a try though ;)

Everyone has winbond, break from the crowd, take a chance and maybe get really good ram.

Or get it even cheaper under dabsvalue range which at the mo seems to be twinmos. I ordered the last 3 sticsk of dabsvalue pc3700, 3 twinny sticks turned up 2 days later. The rest of the models they are selling match twinmos's range of sticks. Buy while you can.