Peripherals All in One Laser Printer Suggestions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Promethus, 16 Jul 2015.

1. Promethus

Promethus What's a Dremel?

I am looking to consolidate my printers/scanners. I currently have a HP Photosmart C309a All in one, a Canon B&W laser printer, an old Canon inkjet printer, an Epson dot matrix printer and a Canon flatbed scanner. I don’t normally print that often, and so all of the inkjet printers have suffered from the same fate, where ink dries in the printer heads, and even changing the cartridges doesn’t revive them. So what I have been doing is using the HP as a scanner, it has a duplex scan to searchable pdf function that I love, and using the Canon as a b&w printer.

Features I am looking for:
    Colour all in one laser printer
    Automated duplex scan to searchable pdf
    Automatic duplex print
    Scan and print at least A4
    Able to connect to a network
    Budget £350 preferably less

Can anyone suggest any all in one printer?

2. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

3. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

We have a Brother B&W all-in-one laser, which is very easy to use.
    Would definitely recommend them.

Without wifi £310 linky
    With wifi £350 linky

Sure you could find them cheaper from a reseller, we got ours via an ebay store for ~60% RRP...

4. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Like you, I got fed up with ink drying up and not being ready to prints for homework etc.
    I bought a Dell C1760nw printer last year, and it's been great; it was on special at about £90, the price seems to bounce.
    With some trepidation I just topped it up with £20 toner set from Amazon (official kit is ££££) - there's usually recommendations on Hotukdeals. It's running well
    Its big brother, the Dell C1765nfw is an all in one with scanner; which if it's the same (sure it is under the hood) I'd recommend it.
    Not tried the Wifi, it supposedly can be tricky.

5. silk186

silk186 Derp

I exclusively use brother, my father has a B&W all-in-one and has never had any problems with it. I connect mine to the router and it networks to everything without issue.

6. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Last edited: 17 Jul 2015
  7. Promethus

Promethus What's a Dremel?

Thanks for all of the responses.

I have had a look through all of the specs of your suggestion, the:
    HP MFP M277dw, doesn’t appear to do duplex scanning
    HP MFP M476nw, can only manually duplex print
    Brother MFC-9140CDN, I cannot work out if it can duplex scan, also I cannot tell if it can scan to a searchable document, same with the Brother MFC-9330CDW.
    Dell C1765NFW, doesn’t do duplex scanning or printing.
    Dell C2665DNF, looks perfect at first glance, but I did notice that the Dell website does elude to the scanning to a searchable document is only a trail subscription. Do you know if this is true Zoon?

I have also seen the HP MFP M476dw, which ticks all of the boxes, except I cannot confirm that it will scan to a searchable document, but all of the HP scanning software I have used has been able to. Do any of you guys know any more, or have ever used one of them? Also I can get it for £249, after cash back.

8. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

It appears that the Brother MFC-9140CDN does not support duplex scanning, sorry. Supposedly there is a higher model that does though...

9. megamale

megamale Minimodder

I have the Canon i-SENSYS MF4890dw, it's black and white only but comfortably does duplex printing and scanning. Although I found I use it more for scanning. The software is ok.

The colour version (MF8230Cn) is slightly larger, but I think is well within your budget.

10. megamale

megamale Minimodder

11. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Sorry we only have the 1765 so not sure what the 2665 will do with regards to searchable documents. I'm not even sure what you mean by that either :blush:

12. silk186

silk186 Derp

I would give brother, HP and Dell each a call. I think that they all have good customer service and would be able to tell you which models you should look at. This way you could really narrow down your choices. It would also be faster than checking each model yourself unless you can find a printer round of or model comparison which some will have on amazon