Peripherals screen recording hardware

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dave_c, 23 Oct 2015.

1. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

Im looking for some recommendations for screen recording HARDware. im planning on recording some tutorials of 3DS Max and VRay and i really need all the system resources to actually use the software to its fullest potential.

Is there such a thing as a pass through for this sort of thing. i.e. plug the PC tower into device then the device into the computer monitor and record everything that is passed through?

I've had a look online and most seem to be very focused on gaming and seem to have somewhat underwhelming reviews.

Any recommendations greatfully recieved, thanks in advance.

2. BlodadTand

BlodadTand What's a Dremel?

I did something similar using one of these things. I was recording to a laptop, with the pc outputting HDMI with a splitter for the capture device.

It took a bit of setting up but the footage was good.

3. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

Thanks, ill take a look.

4. notmeagain

notmeagain Minimodder

The new Elgato card would be a great place to start.

HDMI out, into the card, native 1080p60fps recording via hardware.

5. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

Thanks for the advice, Ive decided to spend the money on a few other pieces of hardware (blue snowball and new sound card) and have setup Open broadcaster software instead.

I suspect I'm going to take a performance hit but I'm just going to hope its not too bad. maybe if the channel takes off ill upgrade.

Really appreciate the help, thanks again.

6. notmeagain

notmeagain Minimodder

I see in your sig your using a 970, that means you should be able to use the Nvidia NVENC encoder within OBS.

Set up OBS with a screen capture, set your balances and audio levels and set the encoder to be NVENC @ 45,000kbps

This will give you great quality with little to no performance hit due to the native hardware encoding that's happening.

I've been using OBS to "2 PC Stream" for a few months now and NVENC hasn't caused any hiccups.