1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Half Life 3

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by SuperHans123, 3 Apr 2014.

1. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

There's still not a lot to get excited about. It is HL3 related, but that doesn't mean that some old code for a years old build was useful in the DOTA update and, oops, they forgot about the HL3 references. I wouldn't take this as deliberate or a hint, but the video does suggest that Valve employees will be watching to see what people say even if they didn't mean to include the HL3 references in the update.

I'm thinking Source 2 when it officially launches with SDK, etc. will come with a killer game to show off all the features. I'm hoping it's HL3. But after trying to Vive I really don't want a Halflife game designed for VR. I just don't think the two would meld well.

Valve's games have always had a flare for showing off new tech. I think I can honestly say that most of the Halflife story has also been a parallel story of what game engines can do and what new, amazing thing Valve has invented/added. I am essentially sure that any new installation to the HL series will certainly include some crazy new mechanics, graphics, or tools that we've never seen before. But I just don't think it will be VR, I think it will be something else with Source 2.

I can see minigames in the HL universe being fun, but I just don't see HL as a VR-first experience. If anyone can prove me wrong, however, it would be Valve.

That said, Chet Faliszek, when asked at EGX about whether or not HL3 would be a VR game , said, "No!"

2. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

I don't see it dedicated for VR, like you said VR-first - but certainly a version that will utilise the headset, if not, you just activate the VR version like you can currently do in HL2, and hope it isn't too buggy.

The thing with FPS games is that they work REALLY well with VR. So whether it is dedicated or not, those who love the VR headsets will be in heaven.

3. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

What's all this about? You mean you guys haven't found the hidden door in hl2 ep2 that takes you into hl3? Fools the lot of you!

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It'll be the breakthrough VR FPS with HTC VIVE + optimized for Steam controller and will launch first on SteamOS.

5. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Not sure if that is Gabe's style.

6. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Gabe's style is making money.

Last edited: 18 Oct 2015
  7. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Played episode 2 as an adult in recent years, so the game just didn't impact me the same way as those that had it when it was ground breaking technology played during their formative years. So I genuinely don't care if the 3rd episode ever comes out.

But I think the hype is greater than the game or any game, could ever be and so releasing it would only be a let down to a lot of people and would do more to damage valve than the profits from selling it would benefit them. Therefore I think the only time you will see episode 3 is when Valve is having financial difficulties as it is guaranteed to sell rapidly.

8. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I still haven't played EP1 or EP2, but I've put more hours into HL2 Deathmatch than I have put into my family. Oops. :D

9. rollo

rollo Modder

HL 3 just wont be made and I think if they wanted to they could of done it already.

10. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I'd rather see a new left 4 dead & portal 3.

11. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Sure, but releasing HL3 exclusively to SteamOS and not Steam regular?

Anyone got another example of him doing stuff like that? If so I stand corrected.

((Avalanche of examples))

Last edited: 18 Oct 2015
  12. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Not really, the only time he's done something like that was the release of Half Life 2 and the launch of Steam.

Now with Steam being so ubiquitous I doubt Valve would move to undermine it. You can have this game on PC on Steam, but not on Windows on Steam, would only harm sales since the number of people willing to go to Steam OS will be pretty low.

13. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

I'd say it would more likely be packaged free with steam machines/vive while concurrently released on vanilla steam.

It makes optimum business sense to release HL3 in support these new platforms. Valve don't need to make money from Half-Life 3, but I'm sure they'll do everything to mitigate the financial risks involved in releasing a new platform and hardware.

Remember, we are talking about a guy who thinks of games in terms of virtual economies. Incidentally, the economist he hired to help design them, Yanis Varoufakis, was made Greek Finance Minister in January.

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Maybe not the exclusive, but VR is. It's the next breakthrough tech - they bundled Steam to HL2 with AMD graphics cards and it was a big success to get a userbase, so tie HL3 to VR in some capacity will build an immediate usergroup.

Nailed it. HL3 is so long to market it can never meet expectations unless it's supported by revolutionary technology, which VR is. Valve will make more money propelling PC gaming VR experience than with HL3. Valve may give away HL3 free to buyers of SteamOS PCs with a VR kit. It's a good channel incentive.

I can't remember where the recent interview/long read was with Yanis Varoufakis, but it was very good! He read like an excellent academic and economist.

Last edited by a moderator: 19 Oct 2015
  15. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

I could see this happening. Valve has taken the bundle route many times before and they need Steam machines to do well as they have dedicated a lot of resources to the platform. They would have to either not release on consoles or have a very sizable delay before console release though.