Modding Advice needed on window kits!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Josh*M, 18 Aug 2003.

1. Josh*M

Josh*M What's a Dremel?

Hi there,

I'm new to case modding and thought a good place to start would be by fitting a window in the side of my case, naturally.

Anyway - I've been looking at some window kits (since I think making my own would be a bit too complicated!) and now I need some advice.

Mitron seem to do the most kits, but ideally I'd like a rectangular/square window, and Mitron's all seem to have horrible rounded corners... Plus, the rubber edging that comes with them is big and messy.

So, after looking around a bit I thought I'd found The One.

[​IMG]

http://www.themodhouse.co.uk/store/product_info.php?cPath=29&products_id=47 for the full description.

Made by TheModHouse - the corners are subtly rounded and the edging is thing and discreet. Perfect, I thought.

However... "plexiglass"? And "some strips of vecro for fixing inside your case"? I presume that means 'velcro', in which case... isn't that a bit rubbish really?

All I want to know is this: would that kit be okay, and can you recommend any other kits which suit my needs aesthetically?

And finally, this is a bit trivial really, the description for that TheModHouse window kit is a bit vague... is that a fan I can see there in the bottom-left of that window?

Thanks for your time, hope you can help! :D

2. Mr T

Mr T 4 Left Into Long 3 Right

Their isnt much need to buy a window "Kit" when your wanting moulding like that. What a lot of people do is cut their hole to whatever size they want then they get the thin moulding as the kit which is 50p per metre from maplin then just cut a piece of plexiglass available from B&Q to the required size and mose people use strong double sided tape rather than "velcro" as the kit uses :) thats how i did my window and its holding up :) Plus it gives u the chance to choose any shape you like :)

3. Josh*M

Josh*M What's a Dremel?

Ah right.

On that kit I showed you in my first post - could I use some of this strong double-sided tape you mentioned and just replace the velcro with that?

And also - is plexiglass as good as acrylic?

4. Gretzky

Gretzky What's a Dremel?

I regret buying a case with a pre-built window because its very plain and everyone has the same design. So its very plain, if you want to be unique then I would buy a dremel and make your own unique window.

5. Josh*M

Josh*M What's a Dremel?

Well I'll have to get the Dremmel out to fit a window kit anyway...

Right?

I can handle the cutting of the case, I think. I just think it'd be a lot easier if I got a kit because then the window would be ready-cut and it would, I presume, come with some instructions!

Edit: Also, I can't buy a pre-windowed side panel because I don't think they're available for my case (see link in my signature).

Last edited: 18 Aug 2003
  6. japala

japala What's a Dremel?

Recently I made a review about Sunbeams different modding components and also about their etched window kit. I'm not sure if you can get them without the etch thought... anyway, the review can be seen here:
    http://metku.net/index.html?sect=view&n=0&path=reviews/pappa_betalar/index_eng#window

Last picture in that page shows one of the six velcro tapes that are holding the window in place. That velcro is super strong and if you just start to pry the window from the side it will break the window. (when done right it will come off great) :)

7. Melov

Melov What's a Dremel?

Dude, I think making a window would be one of the easier modding projects someone could do. All you do is outline the window shape onto the side panel that you have masking tape all over. Then cut it out. Then place a peice of plexi glass(bigger then the shape you cut) on the inside of the panel and either glue it with some strong glue(or double sided tape) or go for the classy look by using a nice set of screws all around the supposed window shape.

8. Josh*M

Josh*M What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the help guys - I found that review particularly helpful - simply because it shows what the window looks like from the inside for once...

Anyway - I now feel very stupid indeed because I've managed to locate the original manufacturer of my case, and they sell windowed and solid side-panels for it. :wallbash:

I think I'll go for a windowed one for now - but now that I know they sell solid panels too, and I'll have a solid one spare, I can use them to experiment and hopefully one day move on to better and more unique things.

Cheers again! :D