PSU [kinda solved, still need advice] Suspected dead power supply after new case transfer

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Otis1337, 19 Nov 2015.

1. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Hello from my phone! :(

I suspect my psu has just kicked it after 6 years of loyal service but just want to see if anyone has any other ideas.

So I taken everything out my case with the system running completely fine all its life to clean with a compressed air can and reinstall into a new case.

Everything seemed to go perfectly well until booting.
    All powers up OK till it gets to the windows loading screen with the logo (Win 10) and after 3-4 seconds the computers suddenly turns off.

Iv tried unplugging all the unnecessary components and drives with no luck.

Any help???

Last edited: 21 Nov 2015
  2. raxonb

raxonb Minimodder

Did you remember to re-apply thermal paste to the CPU before installing the cooler (if you removed it?) Also does the new case have a built in fan controller or something like that? Double check any case specific features are working.

Finally any chance you can test with a spare psu?

3. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Heatsink has not changed and I installed a new Xeon with top themal compound not long ago. Temps in in BIOS are sub 40c

The case does have a fan controller but the cables don't reach.
    Ordered a 60cm extension today but had the CPU fan plugged into the Mobo as well as one case fan to get buy.

Iv told the BIOS to ignore the other fan headers that no longer have case fans installed into them.

I have no spare psu to test but if I don't figure anything out by tomorrow I'm going to buy a new PSU.

4. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

update, its the RAM! did everything i could think of then started fiddling with the RAM speed.
    I dumped it down to 1066mhz which is what all ram on the x58 defaults to unless you change it, booted fine, then went back and put my ram back to 1750mhz and all is fine and dandy!

I would like some insite into this, so i know whats going on with my system if anyone has any idea's.

Last edited: 20 Nov 2015
  5. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Did you remember to change the RAM timings? If it's an Asus motherboard then it will apply the wrong timings on higher speed RAM after the BIOS has been reset which can cause the boot problem you had.

6. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Yeah, one of the timing settings where out too.
    Didn't know Asus broads do that