1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors What do you drive? - The Photo Gallery

Discussion in 'General' started by :: Phat ::, 28 Jul 2003.

1. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

In my case the GTI wasn't even on the cards as I wanted a performance improvement from the 275BHP Focus I had before.

From everything I have read however it is meant to be very good. If he does go for the GTI make sure it has the PPP pack. It gives a little boost to power and adds the all important LSD.
    :)

2. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Finally got my last wheel painted, so now I've got all four wheels the same colour, :D
    [​IMG]

And my grilles, might paint the chrome bits black, not decided yet.

[​IMG]

3. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Finally someone that seems to be at my pay grade posting! nice wheels m8!

4. Gooey_GUI

Gooey_GUI Wanted: Red Shirts

midnight blue automobile with upgrades. Nice leather interior is uncomfortable on long drives. That's why I speed sometimes and sometimes I speed along on some other uncomfortable drive.

It's dirty right now, so I didn't take a picture of it.

Last edited: 25 Dec 2016
  5. MeddlE

MeddlE Norwegian Blue

You mean someone that owns their car rather than leases it? With you on that one. Paid £1,500 for my MX5 in cash. It's totally mine, no monthly payments, no final payment.

6. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I bought my car for cash, I'm never leasing, hire-purchasing or otherwise using credit for a car again.

7. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Mine was £100, :D, which included a brand new battery.

I may have then had to spend £330 on welding, £80 on a pair of tyres, £40 on an MOT, but still .... the Car was £100, :D, that's what I keep telling myself, :D

8. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Just bought this wee beastie for cash (well, cleared funds - no credit):

[​IMG]

Been after another Yaris for a while after loving the two 1.3l SR cars that I had. This is the 1.5l T Sport with the facelift body which means a few newer toys as well such as parking sensors and better radio controls. It needs a good service and the clutch needs bleeding and then I have a few plans for some mods here and there, nothing much, mostly cosmetic (unless I can find a reasonably priced TTE supercharger kit...)

9. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Never understood the weird sense of pride some people seem to express from buying something "for cash"... I have two cars, one bought with "cash" (or a debit card, as opposed to a duffel bag) and the other via a PCP - neither of them is any more or less "mine". Buying the latter with cash would have actually been an entirely moronic thing to do, given that the PCP was 0%, but that's beside the point.

For a heavily depreciating asset (for a new or near-new car anyway), surely leasing, PCP, hire purchase or whatever they're calling it these days makes eminently more sense than buying it outright, if you're likely to chop and change with relative frequency - why would anyone want to own that just for the sake of ownership?

I'm all for financial responsibility and spending within one's means, which is an entirely different topic, but why on earth does it matter how one chooses to part with their money for the use of a vehicle? :eyebrow:

10. Almightyrastus

Yup, spot on. We have the Mini on hire purchase as that was brand new, there would be no way that I would buy a brand new car outright unless money was of no concern to me.

On the other hand, something cheap like that Yaris, one off payment, no monthly outgoings other than consumables and insurance, etc.

11. MeddlE

MeddlE Norwegian Blue

Well done on getting the wrong end of the stick. By "in cash" I meant not on credit. Bought with funds I actually had and not borrowed from anywhere.

A car is rarely an asset as they are money pits. New cars are even worse as they have massive depreciation. PCP makes no sense to me as I cannot get my head around wanting to sink that much money a month into something that you will never own. It is almost burning money for the sake of it. The PCP car is definitely not yours as it belongs to the finance company.

Still, someone has to buy new or there wont be any cheap and cheerful 2nd hand cars around.

Each to their own, how you choose to dispose of your money is your decision to make.

12. Mister_Tad

No, I got the right end of the stick and know exactly what you meant. Also, the PCP car is mine by your definition, as in I own it, as in I can do what I like with it and owe no institution any funds for the continued use of it... but that's not the point. Making that final payment may have changed some paperwork, but it has always been "my car", whether I technically owned it or not. It's my house, even though I need to make regular payments to a bank to keep living there.

You or I may not be making a regular payment as such, but cars devalue continually with few exceptions (i.e. you effectively continue to "pay" for it), and will continue to devalue to the point where they're effectively worthless and then you get to do the same thing again with another car. You're quite right that how much you pay is generally a function of the age of the car, but that's not the topic of discussion here. Your argument seems to be that ownership of a depreciating asset is somehow fundamentally better than leasing, financing, PCP'ing or using whatever other financial arrangement for continued use of said vehicle. I say that's BS.

Last edited: 13 Jun 2016
  13. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Lease :

Pay less than the cost of buying the car outright over 3 years.
    You get the use of the car for that 3 years.
    You get to hand it back at the end, not have to go through the hassle of selling.
    Next car (don't you usually get a 'bonus' if you start a new lease with the same place on a new/next car?)

Win win in the right situation isn't it?

Obviously it'll work better for some cars than others. Big luxury cars that "depreciate by 50% in the first year" I'd bet it's probably much cheaper to lease for 3 years and hand it back than buy it outright and take a kicking from the depreciation.

Small cheap car that you're going to own for a considerable amount of time and not want to change, then lease probably won't be as beneficial as you'll probably pay more to keep the car at the end with the final payment etc.

That's my view of it, which may be 100% wrong as I've never leased a car in my life, :D

I think what Meddle was really getting at (might be wrong?) was that he could afford the car, whether it be cash/lease etc, as opposed to the people who can't really afford the repayments and have to borrow money from elsewhere to pay it off and get themselves into a mountain of debt, like the Credit card problems that screwed the banks up (lending to people who couldn't afford it).

14. Mister_Tad

It certainly can be, but it can be a bit of a minefield as well - I'm sure plenty don't do their research or read the fine print and then get themselves in trouble because they just want their shiny new car so shut up and take my money.

Not in my experience. The final payment on my 7er was a fair bit less than the value of the car at the time, and this seems consistent across the manufacturers when I was shopping around. Even if I was done with it, I would have made the payment and either sold it privately or traded it in. The ones that don't plan for that payment are getting a bit of a raw deal.

I'm certain we're all on the same page there, which is why I said "I'm all for financial responsibility and spending within one's means, which is an entirely different topic", but my take is that's not the point being laboured here.

15. Almightyrastus

First bit of fun on the Yaris:

[​IMG]

16. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Who needs parking sensors on a Yaris? It's the size of a shoebox!

17. Smellyhead

Smellyhead Minimodder

The woman who lives 2 houses down from me does... She hit the scooby the other day... by parallel parking in a space big enough for a van

18. Almightyrastus

No need for them at all, but they're nice to have

19. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

I have a few new photos from a car show I attended a few weeks back. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More can be found here http://imgur.com/a/JTuLS

20. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I'm confused, didn't Daewoo buy the Chevy brand and then shat all over it when they stuck it on cheap-ass tinny generic trash? Or did they just licence it's use outside the states?

I know how bad they were - I was less than thrilled at being handed a Chevy Lacetti as a courtesy car for a week.