Hardware Gigabyte Radeon RX 460 WindForce 2X OC 2GB Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 8 Aug 2016.

1. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

hmm it would be interesting to see a review of the A10-7890K (with 2133 ram or faster ofc) with the RX460 and the GTX 950

2. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

I hear the growing discontent with nvidia due to the price gouging, the price of their new cards is ridiculous. I'm deliberately buying AMD my next card or two. I've got a few friends that have said they are skipping nvidia for their next upgrade. For me it's not just max fps, but the power, heat and noise.

3. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I really want to see comparisons to older cards, like in the R9 2xx series and GTX 6xx and 7xx series.

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yet again it's too expensive :(

I was expecting this card to come in at around £80. Some of them are £140 for god's sake.

5. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

A bit of googling suggests my ancient GTX 660 is probably a little bit faster than a GTX 950 in use, therefore would still be noticeably faster than this, albeit at around twice the power usage.

Which also helps me to get context with the other newer cards of course - the best I'd managed before was vague synthetic benches suggesting a 1060 might be about 2.2x better (at a bit less power use) and a 1070 might be around 2.8x better (at a little more power use), these benches seem to back that up whilst suggesting there might be a little more improvement again in some cases.

6. rollo

rollo Modder

If your willing to buy second hand you can double the performance for a £80 680 if your willing to spend this cards asking which is between 120-140 that's a Nvidia 970 performance level card.

This card is just overpriced and only useful in select scenarios which AMDs APU already does well in.

7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

AMD knows the same thing we all do:
    People simply aren't buying their APUs in any significant quantity as their forever dwindling cpu marketshare proves.

So the real comparison would be against the cut down garbage gpus integrated in 3 - 4 year old budget intel cpus in near zero hw demand games like WoW, Cs:Go, LoL and such.

But of course AMD are really shooting themselves in the foot with the price...

8. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

If we think AMD are overpriced here, what do we think about Nvidia?

This card is perfect for the few kids of friends that get the cheapest PC they can to play games, coming from consoles. The pre teen youtube / twitch crowd. Just slap the card in with no need for a psu upgrade.

9. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

It kinda feels like GPUs are getting towards a similar place CPUs have been for a while now. Performance-per-£ increases from generation to generation have plateaued somewhat and much of the improvements in a new gen are about features and efficiency.

10. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

The thing about this is that updated drivers can and often do improve performance, so I'd like to see a GTX 660 up against the 950 and RX 460 on current drivers.

If someone wants to lend me a 950 and RX 460 I'll happily test this myself. I'm surprised I haven't found anywhere doing this sort of comparison.

11. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Agreed. I think this is where the usefulness of these reviews comes in as many people upgrading are doing so from a couple of (or more) generations back. The data should still be available, although the games used in the benchmarks will have changed.

This is also where the experience and judgement of the reviewer should play a part, in commenting on the relative performance between the generations.

Price aside, if we're saying this card is a 970 equivalent, then that's a good thing, isn't it? The 970 was the last gen sweetspot, depending on where you read the review.

12. Assassin8or

Assassin8or Minimodder

I think that he's saying that you can pick up second hand 970s for the same amount of money as the 4gb version of these cards if they're in that range. I expect these cards to end up at around £80-90 in the not too distant future. At that price point the cards with the additional power connector might start to look a little more tempting.

It's interesting the speed bump from the overclocking. I wonder how much is purely from the additional bandwidth? Also additional power here would help push the memory further for greater gains as well as getting the stable boost clock higher.

13. rollo

rollo Modder

The 970 is 4 times faster than this card for the same money second hand. a 5 year old 680 is still twice as fast and can be had for £80. The only reason to buy new is a warranty and if both cards are from EVGA they could still be in warranty second hand.

14. Sizzor

Sizzor What's a Dremel?

This card is competing against the 750 ti , why this card even exists I am not getting this.And this not even the full polaris 11 chip which 16 CU while this one has 12 . So probably Rx 460x will compete against GTX 1050 .

Tags: Add Tags