Modding Thoughts on this cheap rotary multi tool?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Yadda, 21 Aug 2016.

1. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I'm looking at getting my first rotary tool to help with a few things I want to do to the PC, mainly cutting a new fan hole and additional vents in my PSU and a few other small things I have in mind.

I spotted this cheaper Dremel compatible model which gets good reviews and seems powerful enough. It comes with a stand and flexible attachment too, which is useful.

Any thoughts?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391292097711?redirect=mobile

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Totally bitten by the bug :D

I've been through two Silverline rotary tools as the locking mechanism to change bits broke. Then I got a B&D Firestorm and I've had it ever since. Look at the locking mechanism to see if it looks strong as it's the piece most likely to fail.

3. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

It really does depend on how much your going to use it.

I have two b and q own brand drill\screw drivers and ive been using them for years with no problems. (Alot of use too)

Yeh id buy better now but cheap has worked so far, same goes for my circular and mitre saw.

4. mingingbollock

mingingbollock Minimodder

They get HOT quick depending on what you are cutting etc , but will do the job.

5. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Thanks fellas. I'll think about it for a couple of days.

We'll see how good a job I do of ruining my PSU and take it from there. :dremel::dremel::dremel:

Edit: I decided it's worth a try so I've ordered one. I'll update once I've tried it out.

Found this promo video, looks alright...

Last edited: 22 Aug 2016
  6. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I used it today and I was pleasantly surprised. Along with the bundled reinforced cutting disks it made light work of my PSU, and the grinding stone attachments make de-burring cuts and holes a piece of cake. It didn't get hot either, although I didn't go much over half-speed and was exercising a high degree of mechanical sympathy (mainly to avoid exploding cutting disks).

The only downside is the extension attachment doesn't seem up to the tougher jobs because it can't deliver the motor's torque, but the motor is plenty powerful enough with the extension attachment removed.

Overall I'm very impressed, especially for just over £21 delivered. :thumb:

Edit: forgot to say, it was good fun too. I'm looking forward to using it again, especially on aluminium (not steel like my PSU).

[​IMG]

Last edited: 27 Aug 2016
  7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

You will hate aluminium very quickly. It's soft and it clogs and jams far more than cutting steel.

Glad you are happy with it though :)