Networks Ethernet Cable Crimping

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pete*, 16 Oct 2016.

1. pete*

pete* Something witty here.

Hi guys,

This is most likely a dumb question, but is it possible to cut up and crimp this
    very long (around 20m+) Ethernet cable?
    It is a Belkin one with the shown ends.
    My dogs chewed a part which has made its connection a bit dodgy.
    But I thought I'd cut it up and make multiple smaller cables as I don't need one SO long.
    Going to find the tool and rj45(?) connectors tomorrow for it if this is possible.

Thanks for any help :)
    /pete*

http://imgur.com/pNBOou3
    http://imgur.com/yAvIKWK

2. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

Crimp away matey. Just check what wiring pattern they used if you re-use the original connectors。T568-A or B. If you mix them then you end up with a crossover cable. Just be consistent with which wiring pattern you use.

3. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

Looks like T568-B. Your cable will also probably use stranded wire, so you'll want to get connectors that are designed for stranded or universal.

There are a bunch of videos on youtube showing good crimp technique, so follow along with one and you should be fine. Just remember, if you trim the wires and something isn't right, just strip more jacket and try again.

4. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

It is indeed possible. But unless you are expecting to be doing a lot of crimping, the cost of a half-decent crimper plus the connectors themselves is going to be more than just buying some replacement premade cables.

5. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

cables are peanuts on amazon and unfortunately while i commend your effort to re-use its cheaper to buy a new cable then tools to crimp

6. pete*

My appalling sense of length hides the fact the cable is actually 100m in length.
    Which just seems a bit of a waste.

The cables I've seen on Amazon are all around the £5-10 mark for anything like 10m(need around 15)
    That is cat6 mind.

Thought crimping things would be like a tenner all in, £5ish tool, rj45 ends for about £4 for a few.

Just buying the cables is a lot easier though haha.

And thanks for the suggestions and help guys!

7. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

8. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

If you're going to start crimping your own cables I'd recommend picking up a cheap cable tester, and be prepared to muck it up the first few times.
    The first few cables I made up I must have got through about three connectors on each end before I got a working connection.

9. pete*

I can't really justify mithering another person to do it for me,Kronos :)
    It isn't desperately needed or anything.

I think I'm just going to buy some rdy done, phuzz :) Maybe if I get a house I want to do up, I'll
    try dong it then :)

Cheers guys

10. GeneralFun

GeneralFun Lurker with tools

More expensive but I use EZ crimp RJ45's. I work in a hostile environment and the less time I spend stripping and sorting wires, crimping, testing etc the better off I am. These connectors allow a much faster, more reliable crimps first time and assure positive ID of color coding on wires. You can use a regular crimper by flush cutting the wires after pulling them through and then crimping. I use these fairly regularly and it's been a life saver many times.

You can see them @ www.ezrj45.com

And I have no affiliation with this company, just a fan! :clap:

11. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

I'm liking those GeneralFun, do you by from US?

In fact your profile doesn't say location so where about you lay your head and where do you buy from?

12. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

If you are put off by the cost of the tool, you could to check and see if any local stores rent one. Alternatively check with friends and family, someone might have one and be willing to loan it to you.

13. GeneralFun

GeneralFun Lurker with tools

I need to get my stuff straightened out here, huh? No icon, no location, no PC specs, no clever remarks? I'm going to work on that, thanks. I am indeed from the USofA and California specifically. The last time I purchased those connectors it was from a small local electric supply store. Amazon does offer them as well. They do work well and assure a proper connection the first time. I've become so confident in them I no longer use my tester to check cables I make. :thumb: