1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Chromecast tablet

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jehla, 6 Nov 2016.

1. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

I recently got a chromecast for travel, and ended up liking it far more than I expected. I'm now looking to use one instead of the roku I currently have at home.

The lack of a central remote to control is annoying though. I thought my best bet is to get a cheap 7/8/9" android tablet to use as a dedicated remote (skip lockscreen, streaming apps on the fist screen etc).
    I plan to add a wireless charging receiver so something which I can buy a silicone case for is a must.

I'm having trouble finding a decent tablet though. Something like a fire tablet would be ideal in my mind, if it ran google android.

I was hoping someone here would have a suggestion for a good chromecast remote tablet? It needs to launch and navigate multimedia apps fairly snappily.

2. Hzza

Hzza Minimodder

My dad picked up an older Nexus tablet from CeX a while back for use with a drone and I was actually surprised at how good it was for the price (sub £100, maybe even sub £75). Can't remember exact specs or anything aside from the fact it was Nexus and 7 inches but if I was after a cheapo tablet that's probably the route I would go.

3. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

2013, how is the performance? that is defiantly the front runner right now though, cheers.

4. Hzza

Hzza Minimodder

Not really sure to be honest, he only had it for a bit but was able to fly his Phantom drone on it so performance must have been reasonable...