Development possible new site

Discussion in 'Software' started by OneSeventeen, 10 Oct 2003.

1. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

I'm working on a new site for woventhorns.com and I was thinking of this.

The only semi-developed portion of this site is the Web Design section (you have to click on the main "Web Design" text, the items aren't finished yet)

It doesn't leave a whole lot of room for advertising specials, but what do you think?

EDIT:: Yes, I am going to make this all CSS driven once I get the layout and content decided on, but I'd rather not waste the time when I'm going to be making a PHP template system anyway.

I'm probably even going to do browser checking to decide whether I should throw tables or CSS at the browser.

2. Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto xBurningMikex

it def has more going on, which is what I like. There's always room for advertisements in the header, of course.

3. complexprocess

complexprocess What's a Dremel?

It deffinately has a feeling of professionalism to it. I'm try to decide if it's a little too professional (i.e. it could get lost in the crowd. I think you're probably safe with it though.

4. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

prefer the original

off topic

oneseventeen how did you get into the graphic/web design business?

5. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

<topic id="2">I got in the web design business in high school when this girl showed me how to make web pages in notepad, I've been learning ever since, kind of a cheap form of entertainment :p I used to do 3d graphics also, but I lost the lisence to the software (I'm too cheap to get a full blown lisence) My first web page was made with notepad and MS Paint.</topic>

<topic id="1">I'm hoping to cater mainly to local businesses here in Albuquerque, NM, and all the other designer's pages look either typical or like they were made overnight with the early 90's in mind. There are, of course, the few good ones, but they are very few, so I'm hoping to look like them, but have the prices of the lower end businesses. I'm going for quantity this first year, then once I've got word out, I'm probably going to hike prices up a bit. (I still plan on being the cheapest professional business though)</topic>

6. webchimp

webchimp What's a Dremel?

My suggestion is to make:

Woven Thorns Productions
    An integral part of your success

A .gif image, CSS or HTML italics allways look a bit ragged around the edges.

On the subject of web development business, I have been working freelance for over 2 years now. I originally targeted local businesses with my TDSF site, but found it hard to find enough work. I then set up a second site DrDev which offers sub-contracting and outsourcing to other web developers. This has been very succesful and I get work from people all around the world. I have done jobs for people as far afield as Australia, but most of my clients are based in the US. I trouble shoot for people that get stuck, so I may sort out the code for a just couple of pages and bill just 2 or 3 hours. At the other end of the scale I might develop the entire database and do all the server side coding for a site developed by someone that is only familiar with the HTML and graphics side of site development. If you have the know-how, there is no reason to restrict yourself to work you can find locally. The "how-to" articles on my site are what generates traffic, I get 25,000 visits a month and from these I get a steady stream of enquiries which lead to jobs. In addition I sometimes get repeat business and clients will use me for several separate projects, this doesn't usually happen with local clients, once a site is completed that's usually the end of it.