Other Need help with a long term problem (Possibly Motherboard)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kanester, 13 Nov 2017.

1. Kanester

Kanester Quake God.

Hi Folks,
    My Dad has had a problem with his PC for the last 6 months, He built it himself about 2 years ago and used pretty good parts from Scan. Anyway the problem at 1st seemed to be the sound, It would work at times then the next day just be a load of crackling noise. He's literally tried everything.

The problem seems to disappear when we plug in headphones but my Dad being 61 doesn't want to sit in the living room with headphones on. Last week he bought a new sound card yet the problem still persists. He plays the computer on a 60" Samsung TV with a HDMI cable connected, At 1st I thought this might be the problem.

Iv'e had a look at drivers and rolling back windows etc but the same thing keeps happening, It was working fine last night after reinstalling all drivers, then today back to the cracking noise.

Iv'e noticed the last few days when he loads a game up and the sound works the graphics are a good standard (Playing Shadow of War on High). When the game is loaded and the sound is distorted the graphics are on a super low setting and it just looks awful with rubbish FPS, This has led me to believe it could be a Motherboard problem.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

2. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

How are the speakers connected, or are you using the TV's built in speakers? If its the latter then you'll be using the HDMI audio chip on the graphics card and a sound card wouldn't do anything and would also be why headphones work (as they'd be connected to the sound chip built into the board or the sound card). What graphics card are you using?

3. Kanester

Kanester Quake God.

Thanks for the reply.

The speaker he is using is a sound bar (for a TV) connected by AUX cable. we have tried with the tv speakers and the sound is still on and off. The graphics card is a GTX 970, Iv'e tried my graphics card in his computer as i have exactly the same one and it's still the same. I just can't understand why one day it's fine for hours on end then a restart of the computer with no settings changed and the sound and graphics are like it's running a 10 year old computer.

4. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Could be a dodgy aux cable. Tried changing that? What sound card is he using?

5. Kanester

Kanester Quake God.

Tried different aux cables, not sure what sound card he has but the sound is broke from all outputs.

I'm thinking it's a mb problem, the graphics are awful and i think its just so slow the whole thing is causing tbe sound to be dragged along with the poor fps....

6. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I find it strange that the graphics are changing visual quality when this problem occurs

7. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

I'm thinking power supply now for some reason...

8. Kanester

Kanester Quake God.

Me too and why only half the time? The problem only goes away after a lucky restart.

Could be worth a look, I'm sure the one he has is overkill for what he's running. Can't remember what it is off the top of my head.

9. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I dunno. The problem with sound wasn't fixed with addition of a new sound card. The graphics card and more strangely it seems its drivers are also doing weird things. I wouldn't rule out a full reinstall on a bare bones iGPU and onboard sound as a starting point to rule out software.

It could also be the speaker itself. So I would start with changing that with some other speaker you may have to hand.

alfizzle likes this.