1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Any gardeners amongst you?

Discussion in 'General' started by Kronos, 13 Mar 2018.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I have got quite a bit of soil from which was removed to locate a base for a garden shed. No idea what to do with it until I thought why not get a planter to sit alongside shed.
    Thing is the extent of my gardening prowess is watering a pot of wheat grass for my cat Millie.
    So looking for easy care colourful plant suggestions to stick in the planter?

2. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I’d suggest some different coloured Heathers, easy to grow and look after. Will survive the frost, and you can get winter and summer flowering varieties.

3. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Heathers as Yoda said, tough as old boots, if you get them in quick you could chuck some bulbs in tulips etc add a bit of spring colour, they will die back each year an come back up in spring. Wont spread much if you need to you can lift some of the bulbs if you get too many an pot them on elsewhere. can do the same with most spring bulbs to be fair.

4. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Yup a mixture of heathers. Get some nice flowering on some and don't have to do a thing to keep them going.

5. Zak33

Zak33 Staff Lover of bit-tech Administrator

We all come to your house with a special trick.... we'll put small bags of soil in our trousers... then wander around surreptitiously until we get to a place where we want to grow something.. they we will pull small strings in our pockets, which will allow the bags of soil to open and fall to the floor, down the insideof our trouser legs. Others of us, with rakes, will rake the ground around our feet to disguise the freshly dropped soil.... and we will saunter off to subtlt repeat the process.

Over time, small vegetables will grow where none have grown before, and none of the guards will be any the wiser....

I am confident that we can find a graphic portayal of this.....

let me look.......hmm.....

6. asura

asura jack of all trades

Rosemary and Thyme? Both pretty much unkillable, rosemary grows up, and thyme provides ground cover, stopping weeds from finding a home. Chop off bits and stick in ye'r stew as and when needed.

7. Toka

Toka Minimodder

Shove in a bunch of Crocosmia at the back - very hard to kill, has green bits for most of the year and the flowers look great

8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Don't get lillies... unless you really dislike your cat, tulips too... both are very toxic to cats iirc.