Networks quick network test

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by gosh, 3 Sep 2018.

1. gosh

gosh Minimodder

Hi all, i'm hoping you can help me with a quick but reliable way of setting up my home network. I currently have 3 options to connect gaming PC to router - wireless, homeplug or wired. I've been using wireless without any noticeable problems but since i have other options I may as well test them - i've heard homeplug can be unreliable in old terraced houses (plus being an old house it doesn't have many sockets) but a permanent wired connection will require taking up carpets/floorboards and making a hole in the floor since my master socket/router is directly below my pc.

first and foremost though, what's the best way of testing home network speeds without relying on broadband - i have a NAS that's usually plugged into the router i can use to copy large files to PC to test overall speed but i'm more concerned with avoiding lag/latency/loss while gaming - what tools or command lines can reliably test this between pc and router ?

cheers for any suggestions !

2. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Ping your router from the cmd prompt.

just type ping 192.168.xxx.xxx in your cmd prompt where the xxx.xxx is your router ip.

3. gosh

gosh Minimodder

cheers, had already done this but is there a more sustained way of testing as the pings on wifi are all over the shop while the homeplug seems a little slower on average but consistent - it's hard to take anything useful away from it this way

4. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

You can set it to ping continuously with ping xxx -t
    also save the results to a files with
    ping xxx -t >c:\ping.csv

(pick your own save directory)

Optionally in powershell use this,

Test-Connection -Count 9999 -ComputerName 192.168.xxx.xxx| Format-Table @{Name='TimeStamp';Expression={Get-Date}},Address,Ping | tee -file C:\pingtest.txt

Last edited: 3 Sep 2018
    gosh likes this.
  5. Chairboy

Chairboy I want something good to die for...

Download and run WinMTR. Does the same as the above script but in a handy GUI. You can export the results to CSV if you want

gosh likes this.