Notebooks ASUS ROG GL553V - Laptop shut down (thinks it is hot?!)

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by llOriginll, 1 Oct 2018.

1. llOriginll

llOriginll Minimodder

Hi All

(Windows 10)

Bit of a conundrum on my hands. My laptop ASUS ROG GL553V is powering off instantly and consistently within 10 - 30 seconds of being powered on. Some small amount of background:

• Less than a year old (so could return for warranty);
    • Had an issue with the ASUS ROG Gaming Center spinning the fans up to 100% when gaming and causing the laptop to shut down automatically. This was rectified by uninstalling said software entirely. No issues for 2-3 months since;
    The shut down doesn't occur when something particular happens, it is seemingly 'time based' (like it's overheating and if you see here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...-Overheating-Throttling&highlight=speed+crash this is super common).

Instead, the laptop (cold as anything, no heat whatsoever) will shut down in bios, starting windows, logging in and sometimes I get 5-10 seconds of desktop time.

Putting it in the fridge netted me a small extension of time, but very very little. Just enough to see that the UEFI reports the CPU as 105c. HWM (briefly open) says the CPU is at a comfortable ~40.

Now obviously the CPU isn't 105c as I would absolutely be able to feel that melting a hole in the laptop, and HWM knows it's not. The UEFI is somehow detecting the CPU as 105c, and triggering a shut down. Now to me, the obvious solution was to update the UEFI via pen drive but I won't have enough time! And insofar as I understand, a halfway updated UEFI is a quick way to acquire an expensive brick.

Now as mentioned if I put it in the fridge I can get some small amount of time (god knows why this works) to do stuff in UEFI or super quick on desktop. Would anyone have a suggestion as to what I might do to stop the laptop from believing it is achieving nuclear fusion?

Thanks for any advice or help, and even answers to the nature of 'return it under warranty' would be fine.

Cheers

Chris

2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

That’s an annoying thing to happen. I’d highly suggest just returning it under warranty, because they’re likely going to refuse it as a brick if you break it yourself. Just take the easy route and hope they don’t take too long.

ASUS had my laptop for less than a week when I returned it before. Hopefully they’re still like that.

3. llOriginll

llOriginll Minimodder

Thanks, I think I'm inclined to agree. I absolutely don't want to brick it!

I put in for RMA and it's been processed to be picked up tomorrow, so except for the horrific english on their RMA page (think they're dutch based) I'm impressed by how quick they are.

Interestingly enough ASUS have notified us that they'll be 'exchanging' with us despite it being an RMA/repair? Uncertain what we'll be getting in the door tomorrow! Perhaps this is just standard for them, or perhaps they're aware this is an 'unsolvable' issue.

4. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Make sure you have a full backup just in case it is going to be an exchange! Or get some laptop screwdrivers handy to swap the drives I guess.