News Nvidia announces Titan RTX

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 3 Dec 2018.

1. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Sorry, i meant to say Quadro RTX 6000, i hadn't thought of the older versions of Quadro 6000's.

AFAIK Tesla = good high precision (FP32/64) performance, Quadro = good low precision (FP16/FP32).

Last edited: 3 Dec 2018
  2. Arthur

Arthur It's for 'erberts !

I'm going with 2 Titan V's instead.

3. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

That may have been an acceptable rule of thumb when the Tesla line launched a decade ago, but there have been as many cards that 'break' that rule as follow it since. Broadly:
    Quadros: have at least one direct monitor output
    Teslas: do not have a monitor output, often (but not always) rely on chassis airflow.

4. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

We are truly looking through the other end of the telescope now

5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I think the word is 'endoscope'. :)

SuperHans123, jb0 and The_Crapman like this.
  6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

So I did a couple of quick *** packet calculations, pretend to fly around like an aeroplane for a bit, watched a bit of The Blues Brothers and....

I reckon this Titan will be 15% faster than a 2080 Ti and (sticks tongue out side of mouth in concentration) 52 % faster than a 1080 Ti.

So, for those with the cash, yeah, a pretty nifty gaming card.

Also, welcome to the world's first GPU capable of gaming at 8K properly (albeit in SLI).

Edit: Interesting. The slang/derogatory term for homosexual is censored, even though I wasn't using it in that context.

7. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Another reason to keep the 1080tis or Titan XPs. Is this latest gaming horsepower really needed given the lack of proper PC game releases (in other words, not that ported console rubbish or games made to a certain graphical standard due to a console requirement)... These last gen slow titans kicking about in my pc are still smashing 4k and can see them doing just that for a couple more years yet. Until game devs start to innovate , new faster GPUs are just pointless. AMD is also letting us all down with its uncompetitive refreshed refreshed refresh?!? Efforts. I mean come on.. £2399..!? that's more than double the last Titan.

8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Last Titan was the Titan V and it costs £2800, so they are giving us a £400 "rebate". Don't get me wrong, £2400 is way too much for a consumer GPU in my opinion, but they could have just as easily charged £4400 and it would have made zero difference due to AMD having no answer either way.

9. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

It doesn't matter if people are going to buy more nVidia products anyways. If people hand their money over while bitching about the rapacious pricing, all nVidia hears is a cash register sound effect.

10. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

There has been no real meaningful DP on any Titan since the Black. Maxwell was gimped, and so was Pascal. I think they learned a lesson there not to give too much away.

11. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Fully agree. My Titan Xps have oddly turned out to be a good investment as they've lasted over two years and at this rate will probably last another two.Hell, I sold my 1080 Tis at cost on eBay recently. Shame I didn't sell them during the mining boom.

12. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

As in "Up your..." :winking:

adidan likes this.
  13. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Well, 24GB of VRAM is basically what I've been after for the last two years (without going to the higher-end Quadros) but the price is still more than a little bonkers. While I can run my GPU code in FP64, it offers relatively little real benefit over FP32, except in specific scenarios, for what I do... hm.

Can I convince my boss...? That's the real test.

14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

/me looks carefully at Titan specs...

So... it's pretty much a de-certified (or failed QA on FP tests?) Quadro RTX 6000 then.

15. Cown

Cown Minimodder

The prices for nvidia cards are starting to become laughable. Or who am I kidding, they've been ridiculous for years now. Dont tell me it costs 2000+ £ to produce such a card.

The entire PC community should boycott these greedy pricks for a couple of months, see what that does to their prices. Jesus...

Paradigm Shifter and jb0 like this.
  16. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Your story is literally the same as mine.. XPs rocking it hard here and likely will for two years yet. Best purchase made to date. May have cost an arm and a leg but 3-4 years out of cards was.previously unheard of.

17. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

While I agree in principle, research and development aren't cheap.

18. Sn3akr

Sn3akr What's a Dremel?

Prices where i live will be just shy of 2500£, have they gone completely nuts?? it's as if every tech company has gone insane from seeing Apple making stupid profits of their sheeps and want to try and do the same.. Do the really all think that all comsumers are gonna take out a mortgage to get their next piece of tech?

Prices on high end hardware has inflated at damn bit more than my paycheck has over the last couple of years. a few years ago you could get a PRETTY SWEET build for the price of one of theese! (you actually still can, just stay clear of RTX cards)

19. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

No. The same way Honda don't think everyone is going to shell out £22.5k for a Fireblade SP2. That's why they make more than one model of bike. Likewise, Nvidia make more than just the Titan cards.

20. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

It's why they gave the 1060 the minor refresh.

Tags: Add Tags