1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reviews The 10 Best Cyberpunk Games

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 25 Jul 2019.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

No Neuromancer? No A Mind Forever Voyaging? Beneath a Steel Sky? Dreamweb? Uplink? Snatcher, Kojima's sadly forgotten non-Metal-Gear epic? 2064: Read Only Memories? Excellent modern point and click Gemini Rue?

At least Syndicate's in there.

edzieba likes this.
  3. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

Uplink was epic - I remember having it as a demo off a magazine at the time, and continue to play it just for giggles

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I've still got my original release, back when it was literally a CD-R with inkjet-printed label put together by two guys in a garage. Got the collector's mini-CD, too. Absolutely fantastic game - never bettered in the hacking-'sim' genre, to my mind.

5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I sometimes get the impression there is little room left in your house for you and your family Gareth. :happy:

Edit: Actually, are you living in a museum?

6. Gareth Halfacree

It's... a little cramped, maybe.
    I wish.

EDIT:
    Oh, crap, I forgot Exapunks! How the hell did I forget Exapunks?! Man, now there's a cyberpunk game. Which reminds me, I never did finish all the missions...

7. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

THE LIST HATH SPOKEN.

Actually, I'd be interested to hear thoughts from @RickLane on these titles :)

8. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

No EYE: Divine Cybermancy, either, which was a tragically flawed (all Source-engine games that don't come from Valve seem to be) but amazingly detailed cyberpunk-goth FPS RPG affair. If you could get past the poorly designed UI and spotty English translation, it was/is definitely worth a look-see.

BASS remains one of my favourite point 'n' click games, and Gemini Rue was appealing, but never 'clicked' for me.

Also: Observer, Satellite Reign, Hard Reset and the mid-90's Chaos Overlords, of which the only one I would rate worth a mention being Satellite. Observer was OK, but I just found it a bit "meh".

9. Gareth Halfacree

Ooh, not heard of that one - I'll have to check it out!
    I found the combat sections incredibly annoying, but loved everything else. Kickin' soundtrack, too.
    I was enjoying Observer - apart from the fact that Rutger Hauer (may he rest in peace) sounded drunk - until I got to a mandatory stealth section and got stuck. Neat idea, not so sure about the execution.
    I own this, but never got past the tutorial: there's a bug in the Linux release where one of the keys you have to press to do something, I forget what, triggers your window manager and pulls you out of the game. Devs don't give a toss, so I gave up.
    Haven't tried either of those.

10. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Last edited: 25 Jul 2019
  11. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

https://store.steampowered.com/app/91700/
    I enjoyed it, but I remember getting insanely annoyed with the fact that the translation was so random, not to mention the fact that the world is very complicated but gives you basically no clue what to do. But it's better than unskippable "hold your hand because you're an idiot" tutorials.

I really don't remember much about it. Will have to fire it up again.

Haha, aye. I can't stand games that have mandatory mechanics sections. If I want to play a stealth game, I'll play a stealth game. Action, action. But don't shoehorn in something that has hitherto been a non-entity within the game and expect me to be happy about it - especially if it is clunky or doesn't fit well with the engine. Forced minigames are horrible.

Well, that's stupid... (the bug, not you giving up...)

Hard Reset is just a typical FPS: a not-Doom 2016, Doom 2016, sort of thing. Chaos Overlords is now on GOG, but I've not got the GOG version. I played it at a friends a few times back in the day. Being turn based I loved it at the time, but doubt I'd want to play it again.

12. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Technically it's post-Cyberpunk rather than Cyberpunk, but the PS1 era Ghost in the Shell game is worth a mention. 'Old school' game design - sequential missions with return-to-start-on-death - with some rather punishing difficulty spikes (that F#£&ING timed bomb mission) but the movement mechanics are a joy to use! Walking, hopping and powersliding across walls, ceilings and floors, smoothly and with precise control, even without analog sticks!
    Sadly, every subsequent Ghost in the Shell game was downhill from there, from the PS2 era Stand Alone Complex (completely soulless, and a gamepad-only game that lacked autoaim or control shaping), to the slap-a-skin-on-our-generic-FPS First Assault that took one look at what Neotokyo achieved a decade earlier and promptly gave up and phoned it in.

13. gosh

gosh Minimodder

VA-11 Hall-A ?

as a bartender half my life i can guarantee you hear far more of peoples lives than you want and the best responses are neutral, but while i've matched drinks to tastes and moods i can't say i've changed lives :S

14. Coltch

Coltch Minimodder

Loved this game on the Amiga.

Still enjoy Syndicate (still have original for Amiga and PC and have American Revolt on PC)

15. monkeylove

monkeylove What's a Dremel?

Also, Circuit's Edge.

Tags: Add Tags