1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other wiring a smart lightswitch?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Buzzons, 15 Dec 2019.

1. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

Has anyone here swapped out their old physical light switches with wireless ones?

this makes it look way easy but what I've got is this... (as you look at it, the bottom switch is a single switch, the top one is linked to another physical switch on another wall)

old-switch.jpg

And I tried to wire it up... and got this..

new-switch.jpg

How .. do I actually make it work please :/

2. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Lighting is trickier than sockets, as sockets are simply either daisy chained in a ring circuit or a single ended radial with easy to identify live, neutral and earth conductors.
    Lighting uses loops which mean that you get bunches of live wires together and neutrals bunched up in the ceiling. You can see the (blue) neutrals bunched up in the recess in pic 3.
    Pic 2 looks like you have 2 switches, as there are 3 lives, brown, grey and the black that is sleeved brown; probably the 'switched' live.
    There are pics and guides on the internet, but if you're not sure I'd always suggest getting a friendly electrician in. You'll then know how to do the next one.

3. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

Thanks! I've given up and ordered a smart bulb instead - so much easier.. and less chance of death!

Arboreal likes this.
  4. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

Wise choice (not sarcastic)

Having done a fair bit of electrician's duties, I can tell you this: lightning wiring is a nightmare to a layman. Only wire you can be sure of is the PE (as long as previous person who fiddled with it was not a moron), rest can be anything such as neutral is used for live and vice versa. Depends on the circuit.

Only safe/sane move is to not play.

Arboreal likes this.
  5. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

Aye so it seems! Just a little more expensive to get bulbs instead of switches but.. no house fires or deaths so probably worth it!