Cooling Recommend me a CPU cooler and new case fans.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DeckerdBR, 31 Oct 2020.

1. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

When I last upgraded my PC I reused my case fans (from my previous fractal design 3 case) and the stock Ryzen cooler from the new CPU.

They have been generally ok but randomly I'm starting to get a graunching sound, all be it temporarily, which I have narrowed down to 2 out of the 4 old case fans I reused. Time to replace them! And also upgrade the stock CPU cooler.

None of my current fans are PWM so it would be good to have some. I'm not for or against RGB but the most important thing to me is that the fans are quite and have good cooling performance.

The CPU cooler and fans need to be able to fit in a Corsair 275r and clear the space around the CPU socket for a Rog strix b450f gaming mainboard.
    The stock cooler was fitting fine until I put another 16 gig of ram in the spare slots and now the ram buts up against the CPU cooler. The stock CPU cooler is also a bit noisy under load.

As a start point I was looking at the following -
    CPU:
    BeQuiet! Dark Rock 4 135 mm Silent Wings.

Case fans:
    BeQuiet! 120MM Fan Pure Wings 2 PWM, Rifle Bearing, Black.
    BeQuiet! 140MM Pure Wings 2 PWM, Rifle Bearing, Black.

I think it would be 2 of the 120 mm fans and 2 of the 140 fans it need to double check to be sure!
    I'm not married to the idea of be quiet fans or any others, so I'm open to recommendations.

2. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

3. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

I managed to pick up the DR Slim for 45 quid, which seems ok to me.

I Installed the cooler yesterday, very impressed with its cooling performance and quiet operation. Also much easier to fit than bigger coolers, didn't even have to take the motherboard out of the case to make it happen.

Using the stock AMD wraith cooler I used to get temps of 81c under heavy load, using the Slim and some Arctic 4 thermal paste the max temp I have seen under heavy load is 66c.

Good recommendation, thanks.

4. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Ok, so next stop, new case fans.
    I have looked at some deep cool and antec pwm RGB fans but the reviews are mixed.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0799DML5Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabt1_z49UFb6750K6R?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07V32FKVT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabt1_x69UFbNKSM8CE

Last thing I need is a noisy rainbow disco... The goal here is cool and quiet, with the option to use use subtle single colour rgb as and when needed, or turn off the lights If and when I see fit.

Unless there are better recommendations put forward, the other option is to just get some non RGB BeQuiet fans, given I now know I like the quality.

Any recommendations?

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Noctua brown. This is the way. :winking:

I’ve heard great things with Arctic F12 if RGB isn’t a must.

6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder