1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Bluetooth speaker

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Spraduke, 16 Oct 2021.

1. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Does anyone have recommendations for non-smart bluetooth speakers? It is simply to stream music/radio from a phone. Could be portable but it will probably live in the kitchen.

Would like something that doesn't sound like a tinny mess but not currently looking to spend a fortune (up to £100 but would stretch further if it is much better).

Last edited: 16 Oct 2021
  2. Panomama

Panomama I once signed up on uniform dating

saspro likes this.
  3. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

We've got a JBL Charge 3 which is great, but it's old and you can't really get them now, but the charge 4 can be had at scan for £100, or the flip 5 is less than £75 and the flip looks to be of a similar makeup of the charge 3

4. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Marshall, every time. We have a Stanmore in the kitchen and that thing rocks (as it well should). They did miss a trick by not making it go up to 11, but it never distorts, at 10 and with the bass right up.

There is a cheaper version within your budget and although I admittedly have no experience of this one, if ours is anything to go by I wouldn't hesitate to at least give it a go if I needed a new one (nearly bought one for the eldest but decided it was way more than necessary).

At the other end, we also have an original Anker Soundcore, which is only £25 and a Soundcore 2, which is actually rather neat, considering. It does for holiday and listening in the garden, goes quite loud (again without distorting - we actually have to turn it down outside sometimes to avoid being a nuisance) and as long as your source is of good quality, it's got decent bass too. There are newer versions here and here, but I don't know what they're like although reviews seem good.

EDIT: Apologies, I just checked and the Soundcore we have is actually the Soundcore 2, not the original.

Last edited: 17 Oct 2021
  5. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

6. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Thanks for the suggestions all. Saw the cheaper Marshall on richer sounds clearance but will also check out the others

7. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Minirig every time.

Unbeatable sound, excellent build quality, and totally bullet proof design (had mine for over 10 years!)

saspro likes this.
  8. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Should have updated this. Ended up going with the Marshall Emberton on richersounds (this one https://www.richersounds.com/headphones/marshall-emberton.html).

It has USB C, great battery life, waterproof and a pleasing sound. Its no amp & speakers but it certainly isn't offensive on the ears. The little joystick on the top is a little finickity for turning it on and off (it tends to just change the volume) but nothing I could really complain about as it hibernates itself most of the time.

Byron C likes this.