Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Are you going to run ethernet with the power, or just hope your house wifi reaches?

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Ethernet, with a local access point in the outbuilding for Wi-Fi. I'm hopeful that my Fasts will be up by the time I move into it, too - 500/500 unlimited. (I could have had gigabit, which is guaranteed 900/900 - but figured I'd rather save the money!)

IanW likes this.
  3. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Looking good Mr H, what construction is the new lair?
    SWMBO has a 3x5m garden office that we had constructed in Sept 20 as she was WFH for the foreseeable future.
    We went with 70mm thick timbers which have been great and allowed full house grade double glazed windows & doors to be fitted.

28mm floor + 50mm celotex and triple layer roof with the same insulation.

A 1.1kW oil filled rad is good for most conditions, plus a 2kW fan for top ups when it's pretty cold (soft southerners by the sea in Bournemouth).

We have a buried SWA for the electricity and a rugged ethernet cable alongside it in the trench.
    Broadband is turned to WiFi at the downstream end.

All I had to do is help paint and fit a gutter at the rear, along with a soakaway.

Digging and refilling the 25m elec trench is what gave me 21 months of frozen shoulders, side 2 kicked in almost a year after the first.

I kayaked for the first time in 9 months last week...

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

..."wood."

I 'unno, the quote just says "treated timber frame," then a bunch of stuff about "18mm OSB" and "18mm Cabor" (which, DuckDuckGoing it, is probably "Caberfloor" moisture-resistant chipboard) and "100mm insulation" with "log lap weather treated board" outside. I'm just kinda trusting that the guy builds it out of something that isn't... I dunno, wet cardboard?

The stove's got a claimed 5kW output, so should be enough to make it proper toasty in winter!

IanW and Arboreal like this.
  5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Because dropping £570 on a Steam Deck recently wasn't enough toys for me apparently...

Thermaltake "The Tower 100" MiniITX case

[​IMG]

Gigabyte B660I mobo

[​IMG]

i5-12400F

[​IMG]

All three of the above for the other half's PC. She really doesn't need a big fat honkin' 5000D Airflow sat on her desk, so I've wanted to move her to MiniITX for a while. X470/X570 MiniITX boards are just as expensive - if not more expensive - than Alder Lake boards, so... f- it, she can have an upgrade to Alder Lake while we're at it. It outperforms the 3700X she's running now in pretty much every benchmark you care to mention. Was a tossup between this case and the Fractal Torrent Nano, but this will take up less space on her desk. And I get the big fat honkin' 5000D Airflow.

Elgato Cam Link 4K

[​IMG]

Sony A5000

[​IMG]

And these two are for me - time to up my facecam game. Yes I know the A5000 doesn't support clean HDMI by default, but there is a hack to enable this.

6. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

So, it's a frame and panel design as opposed to a 'log' cabin design we chose; sounds good.
    The features '100mm of insulation and a 5kW fire' to call on... Mighty fine stuffs.
    I'd like to have the funds to go solar on ours, but it's not gonna happen any time soon, other priorities.

IanW and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  7. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

A GoXLR mixer

[​IMG]

Byron C and Almightyrastus like this.
  8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Ooo, very nice indeed. I was very tempted by the GoXLR and I kinda wished I’d gone for that instead of the Behringer FLOW8. A lot more pricey than the FLOW8 though!

9. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Why does that sound like a feminine hygiene product?

Byron C likes this.
  10. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

For a full week of flow, plus an extra day to be sure?

The_Crapman likes this.
  11. trigger

trigger Procrastinator

"Somebody" keeps leaving the freezer door open, nicely wasting energy and defrosting the food until I notice it a few hours later. So one of these:

[​IMG]

To stick on the door, and I'll then create a rule in our Hubitat to get Alexa to shout at "somebody" to close the bleedin' freezer! I expect I'll then need another one for the fridge :wallbash:

wolfticket likes this.
  12. Gareth Halfacree

Smart.

Although... could you not just raise the front feet a little, so the door swings closed by itself? (Assuming it's not a chest freezer, of course...)

adidan and trigger like this.
  13. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

That would be exceptionally frustrating!

Bazz likes this.
  14. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Nah, you just open it extra wide and it stays open, that's how ours is, it is great, though ours have open Alarms built in.

trigger likes this.
  15. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

SVS Prime centre
    [​IMG]

Mister_Tad likes this.
  16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

8 days?! If you could find a tampon/pad that could survive 8 days you'd be a very rich person!

17. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Diva cup. Boom.

18. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yeah they don't last 8 days without being emptied :thumb:

19. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Honestly I think the concept of an eight day anything is the fever dream of a mad woman/man.

I can't imagine something being inside someone for eight days is gonna be a winner in like.. So many ways :D

OT: Books! Not many, though.

Paolo Bacigalupi - The Water Knife
    William Gibson - Pattern Recognition
    William Gibson - Spook Country
    William Gibson - Zero History

Arboreal likes this.
  20. trigger

trigger Procrastinator

Ha! Why does my mind always find the most complex solution first?! That said, it doesn't happen on the fridge half... still worth a go!