Portable Laptop recommendations

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Stotherd-001, 4 Aug 2022.

1. Stotherd-001

Stotherd-001 Minimodder

I've ended up with a £500 voucher for Currys and am looking for a new laptop, so I'm looking for recommendations, I can contribute another £4-500.

My current laptop is several years old, runs very hot, is a bit too heavy. I tend to play KSP, Civ 6 and other basic strategy games on it, but I'd love something lighter, that doesn't run particularly hot and is capable of running latest games but doesn't need to be amazing at it. I have an SSD to upgrade it if it has a spare bay, and I would like to get 32Gb but just needs to be upgradable.

Unfortunately being looked into Currys means my choices are limited, The HP Victus https://www.currys.co.uk/products/h...amd-ryzen-7-rtx-3060-512-gb-ssd-10225999.html looks like a best option in that price range, but I'm not sure on the capabilities of other non-gaming laptops so I'm open to any advice for something that might actually be better.

Thanks!

2. sandys

sandys Multimodder

You'll need to decide on priorities, how heavy is your current laptop as that HP you linked is a heavy beast at 2.46kg, In fact, what is the spec of your current laptop as you say it runs latest games but then mention games years old, lots of laptops will play the titles mentioned on an iGPU leading to a light laptop but they won't allow you to play Cyberpunk for example.

3. Stotherd-001

Stotherd-001 Minimodder

Its an old ASUS ROG machine so its already pretty heavy, I do have a high spec gaming desktop and I don't expect to be playing FPSs on this laptop too much, but I'd like the option. My priority would be something thats powerful enough just to make sure the years old games don't cause it to heat up too much, is comfortable enough to use, and is pretty future-proof for the next gen of those older games.