1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Went for a quick smoke about 20 minutes ago and it's a really clear night, I haven't seen that many stars in the sky since I moved to Cardiff about 15 years ago. I was still able to spot both Mars and Uranus quite clearly.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Took a rare day off: went with the family to Kilnsey Park to walk the trail and because my youngest has been dying to go fishing, so they both had a fish in the trout pond. Came home with four decent-size trout, two each - they did really well, I was super impressed. Only the second time for the eldest (10) and the first time ever for the youngest (6) - she actually caught one entirely solo while I was distracted dehooking one!

Two in the fridge for tomorrow's tea, two in the freezer for a future date.

perplekks45, IanW, Arboreal and 2 others like this.
  3. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

coursework done, deadline met, i now have a diploma in policing.

dont want it but i'll take the payrise that comes with it

4. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Points all round.

It annoys me but sends my OH ballistic when people catch fish but don't then keep them to eat.

Hope they're tasty.

5. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I'll be at InnoTrans for the next two days, representing the company I work for (together with management and a handful of colleagues).

Since this is one of the most important fairs in the logistics and transportation industry, these two days will be exciting as well as another step towards cementing my position and standing in the company.

Well chuffed to be invited, as you might be able to tell.

IanW and Weekly_Estimate like this.
  6. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Nice! My old man is there as well. He was practically bouncing off the walls, so excited to get back to in person events.

perplekks45 likes this.
  7. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Just make sure no-one brings home the "secret" event swag!
    A fresh dose of COVID

stonedsurd and MLyons like this.
  8. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Discovered the true reason my internet connection was yo-yo-ing like the lingerie of a "lady of negotiable affection" for the last couple of weeks.

It turned out that the ethernet I'd installed between the router in the hallway & the PC in the study upstairs had an "almost-broken" wire in one of the punchdown sockets, making the PC repeatedly fail over to wifi.

9. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

With thousands of people spending hours together in close contact without proper ventilation? I don't see how that could possibly happen...

But, even though I'm a bit worried about the risks, day 1 was a blast. Arrived at 11, breathed in, breathed out, 2pm, blinked, 6pm. Time for dinner and drinks now.

stonedsurd, IanW and MLyons like this.
  10. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

that'll be the covid

perplekks45 likes this.
  11. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

it's stuff like this that makes me want to run 2 cables per run in my new house.

IanW likes this.
  12. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Absolutely and unquestionably do this. Cable costs peanuts in comparison to running it, and running two is barely more effort than running one.

adidan likes this.
  13. MLyons

as voted for on the discord I'll be doing a "build log" on the forums as well

adidan likes this.
  14. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

^ this @MLyons

I think with anything if a backup costs not much more in time or effort it's well worth it.

I'm a fan of backup plans for just about everything though.

15. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Leaving Talktalk.

To be fair I hadn't had a single issue until about two weeks ago. I was at home (where I usually always am) and the net went down. Tried to phone them but there is no one to speak to. The phone then went down. I was terrified tbh. Good old autism. Eventually they ran some tests from me phoning their automated line, then told me it was all fine. Yeah, I call BS. Had been having packet loss bad in PUBG for a few days by then.

Any way, about two weeks ago they sent me a threatening email telling me to sign a new contract "or else" basically. The "or else" catch is a £49 bill rather than a £34 one. However, the experience was soured by what happened. Their router is also a bit tom tit to be honest.

So I decided to switch. Seems Sky have something called Now Broadband and it's cheap AF. Like, even cheaper than Talktalk. I was paying £34 before for 60mb fibre, phone and free calls. With Now it is costing me £29 for the same thing. Only costs a fiver for their router too. I wondered why it was so cheap, then I found out lmao.

[​IMG]

That said a gigabit switch cost me £17, so I ain't mad bro.

[​IMG]

16. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Talk Talk are ok, only if you never have a problem…

IanW and Vault-Tec like this.
  17. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Put my mum on this as her provider were upping package prices at the same time as dropping her home phone line due to shift to digital.

Have to say I have been impressed with their customer service, we were trying to get her up from 30Mb to 60Mb as here line test suggested her internet could be faster, whilst we never got the speedbump, they answered the phone with clear British speakers, talked through stuff and called back when they said they would plus an additional time some week or so later just to check everything was OK and she was happy.

Can't ask more than that, also dropped my mums internet from £40 no phone line with EE to £20 with a phone line.

IanW and Vault-Tec like this.
  18. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yeah my mum will be getting it too when her Plusnet conny is finished. She also uses her landline a lot, so at £29 it's a no brainer really.

Talktalk phoned me three times. I got progressively angrier at each call, until I finally blew my stack and told them to F off. Funny how attentive they are when trying to talk you into a dodge the switch, yet when you need them there ain't no one there.....

Now should be Sky, who out of mum's providers had the best customer service tbh. What's brilliant with Now is you can pay £60 up front for the router and you have no contract at all. Which was how it worked in the USA on cable. Which IMO is bloody brilliant, though I am happy enough to take the gear for free as I ain't going nowhere any time soon and even if I did I could take it with me. But yeah, that is quite probably the best thing I have ever seen for BB in the UK.

I may also consider going with Sky Sports for the winter months as I ditched my TV license nearly 3 years ago and the winters do get kinda long and a bit boring waiting for people to upload to YT. Though that said I dropped my NF sub down to the most basic one and bought "Crime and Investigation" on Amazon for £3.99 a month. Which has kept me proper glued now for over a month, so worth every penny. I may even ditch Netflix tbh.

19. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Gurt big kitten!
    [​IMG]

Byron C, IanW, Isitari and 3 others like this.
  20. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Finally found out why Destiny 2 has been crashing. Multiple drivers and hair pulling later and it turns out my RAM wasn't stable at its XMP rating without a little bit of extra voltage. Failed memtest last night with 58 errors with XMP and then passed without overnight. Tweaked the voltage this evening and it passed again. More importantly an hour of D2 and no crashes!!! Result.

I can only guess the IMC on this 12700K just needs that little bit extra vs the 5900X I used to have.

Meanwhile back to my Steam Deck I go to play the same game @ low settings with 50-60FPS.... because I can.. :clap::clap: