1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 11 - should I take the upgrade?

Discussion in 'Software' started by IamJudd, 9 Mar 2022.

1. Xir

Xir Modder

On the company PC's, we've not bothered as the EOL date is the same for Win10 and WIN11.

But some customers insisted on having WIN11 on their PC's.
    No problems with not having a microsoft account, it didn't require it.
    (Which is good, as it's a customers PC, and we don't have (or want) their account)

I really don't like the interface, and the system is slower than with Win10.
    Maybe it's a graphics issue, we remotely control these PC's per Teamviewer and that lags like Hell on Win11, but runs normal on Win10.

2. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

I've relented recently and upgraded as it was free and... well, bored.

I've not seen any real gains or losses to be honest. Perhaps having that little quick menu for deleting files instead of right clicking and using the drop down menu when I REALLY need to use that over the delete key on the keyboard... but yeah, nothing major!

3. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

I've just done my first upgrade using a Rufus modded Win 11 ISO onto a test rig. So far it seems fine I haven't tested it to any degree yet and having the control panel back on the left helps with the continuity

4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I was using my laptop on the ferry a couple weeks back and a kid at the adjacent table asked if was using windows 11, which really seemed to upset his parents, and they were very apologetic - I think he was probably somewhere on the autism spectrum and they were a bit sensitive about it.

None of that is really important but it did make me toy with the idea of installing it on the laptop as a test bed - it only gets occasional use

Still haven't gotten around to it though. Just really don't see the point

5. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

If you're wanting to take it for a spin sometime, I'd recommend the Rufus mod as it has tick/untick options to turn off the online account requirement and TPM requirement for example...
    But hey, what do I know? I only loaded it up yesterday :lol:

David likes this.
  6. Midlight

Midlight Minimodder

This is good to hear that there is no major things with it. I have been selected by the company for the trial roll outs of 11 and not really looking forward to it.

7. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Been using 11 for a couple of months now I think on my work laptop, not really noticed any issues compared to 10, then again not really noticed many benefits either. Switch from 11 to 10 as my own pc is still 10 and have yet to have any issues trying to do something on one that can't be done etc.

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Installed a clean Win 11 yesterday. I got tired of a strange bug with my fresh installed win 10, it the taskbar wasn’t stable, programs disappear and reappear on it.

This is grinding my gears:
    How do I shutdown win 11?!?
    Win 10 Win +X followed by U and U no longer works.

9. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Win+x, u, u should work. The shortcuts haven't changed between 10 and 11. You could use the Start Menu's power options but it's very odd the Win+x menu isn't working correctly. What does it show when you hit Win+x?

wyx087 likes this.
  10. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I mean I tend to just click shutdown but yeah, win + x, u, u works here.

wyx087 likes this.
  11. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Win + X works here, but I'm hitting U as hard as I can and it's not selecting the "shut down or sign out" submenu.
    Probably more because problem with my Win+X menu, mashing different keys doesn't seem to have any effect on the whole menu. I'd have thought other keys will launch one of other utilities?

Apart from that, Win 11 just feels like a fresh coat of paint from Win 10. I really like the central task bar as ultra-wide user.

edit: seems like a persistent bug with Win+X menu:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows11/comments/odb4vz/windows_11s_winx_menu_is_missing_access_keys/

Last edited: 21 Dec 2022
  12. OMT-63

OMT-63 What's a Dremel?

I bought this rig with 11 preloaded but have since gone back to 10 .11 was easy to get round but full of rubbish and after a debloat never quite ran right .back on 10 not really tried debloating runs ok is what it is .. main use photography and graphics trying ..
    Trying out Linux garuda on an old laptop

13. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Just doing my rebuild and about to take the 11 plunge! Not used it on another machine yet. Wish me luck!

14. David

Installed it a couple of weeks back, on my mini rig, just to give it a go. Functionally, it's the same, but there are so many stupid UI decisions... seriously, why would you **** around by making the context menu harder to access? That start button in the middle of the task bar? Nope, that went immediately. The start menu... not a huge fan, but I'm trying to tolerate it.

I'll persevere, but I'm a long way from installing it on my main rig.

15. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Can you set up a local account yet without any main account yet?

Last I looked at it you had to jump through a few hoops to do som

16. David

No, still very much an unofficial option.

adidan likes this.
  17. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Download the iso from MS via the media creation tool and then use Rufus, let's you fiddle with some install options including creating a local account

adidan likes this.
  18. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

Yes. Start the install with no network connectivity.
    When you enter out of box experience press Shift + F10, in the command prompt, type OOBE/BYPASSNRO the computer will then restart.
    Once rebooted, you'll have the option to skip connecting to a network and enter a local account.

adidan likes this.
  19. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I have an issue where one of my machines has to run Win 7 due to hardware/OS compatibility, so thinking I'll have to take that one offline soon.

Then I was panicking because everything else still runs Win 10 on Sandy Bridge and I have no reason to upgrade just for Win 11 since everything works fine as is. And I'm not paying for about four machine upgrades.

I must have either overlooked or not understood what Rufus was the first time I read this thread, but as of this morning I'm happy to see it has the TPM workaround - this should mean we don't have to pull the Sandys apart. Good news indeed and TIL.

Not looking forward to the W11 issues I've read about though (lagging in games, performance issues) or having to debloat. But on the other hand, a clean install of either this (or W10 again) might solve some of the issues we're having.

20. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Hmm you make a fair point on the debloat. Maybe I'll stick it on a spare laptop I have here first and then see how to debloat before putting it on the main rig