Other Pete J's thread of Lego building (current project: 76262 Captain America's Shield)

Discussion in 'General' started by Pete J, 21 Sep 2019.

1. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Whelp, here goes MGR:

[​IMG]

Already a couple of missing bits, but nothing that stops me working out of sequence from the instructions.

IanW and liratheal like this.
  2. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

No progress on Rex, but the following dropped to a price too low to say no to:

[​IMG]

Now here's the thing: Old Skool Optimus is great and all, but I could also purchase MOC instructions for two alternative models:

[​IMG]

I'm leaning towards the Bumblebee version:

[​IMG]

However, the origanl version can TRANSFORM!

Hmm. Going to be a while before I get round to him anyway. What do you guys think? Original or Bumblebee version?

Vault-Tec and IanW like this.
  3. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

What?! you mean that you didnt buy three, so that you could have all 3 versions? no wait scratch that 4 for 4? (inlcuding in his truck form!) and then build a MoC of his trailer?!

IanW and Pete J like this.
  4. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

[​IMG]

5. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Been a long time since I've updated here - almost two months!

Metal Gear Rex

[​IMG]

Probably somewhere in the 40-50% complete range. I'm somewhat regretting starting this now as so far there's no evidence anyone has successfully completed the build, as the designer had only ever done it in CAD. I've already had to modify the railgun so it can actually support its own weight, though I still expect it to sag when I put it together (maybe even modiying it some more). The radome is also a bit of a nightmare, and will require a bit of tweaking. The scaling also seems a little off, but is a bit better when compared to the Twin Snakes version. It's annoying as if you search for different versions, there are a couple of good MOCs out there, but unfortunately none of them have instructions. There's one designer who was working on one (can't remember his name off the top of my head), but after a great start back in 2015, work seems to have halted on it, or he just didn't bother to post the finished project.

As it is, I'm still missing some parts (typically pricey), as well as needing to add some additional parts. I'm parking it for the foreseeable future to work on something else.

Robocain

[​IMG]

Finished! A nice little model to keep ED-209 and Robocop company. Just got to buy a Robocop minifig and I'm set.

Onto current and future projects...

Ferrari F40 1:10 scale

[​IMG]

I'm well underway for collecting the parts for this. With the advent of the 42143 set, I'm also looking into getting Ferrari-logoed bits for it. Also, as seems usual for most car MOCs, I'm having to add brake calipers. Can't be helps I suppose as many MOCs were designed or started being designed before the full brake disc wheel connector seen in the Chiron set appeared.

Pagani Huayra

[​IMG]

At first I almost ignored this MOC as it 'only' had a 4 speed gearbox, but digging a little further, it's for good reason. The model has a few 'hidden' connector points that operate features such as opening gull-wing doors, lowering car height etc. Additionally, it has an extremely cool feature that the real car has: when the steering is turned far enough in either direction, a front flap on the corresponding side pops up - very cool!

I'm going to change the colour scheme - most of the white to Dark Bley, as I already have a white car (the 720S) and perusing images on the ole internets reveals several colour combinations (in fact, dark grey and black is one that comes up). I also have to start ordering parts soon as the rear wheels are actually exceptionally rare nowadays - only one store in Denmark sells them, and they're ceasing trading by the end of February!

Pimp up my Ferrari (Lego 42143 Ferrari Daytona SP3 MOC)

[​IMG]

I'm now laying out the parts for the this MOC, so that'll keep me wrapped up for the immediate future as the main project. Though in the mornings before I set off, I'll keep a small side project going.

6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Laid out all the bits for the Daytona:

[​IMG]

And have completed the gearbox:

[​IMG]

This is the same gearbox that was also used in the 'Pimp my Sian', which is not only smaller, but has hard stops to stop the 8-1 gear change. Unfortunately, the real car actually has a 7 speed gearbox, and it can be done in Lego, but never mind.As always, I'm converting the car to right hand drive, so I've had to mirror everything.

I've also ordered the rare wheels and tyres for the Huayra. I've had a look into changing the colour of the build, but at the moment, all the bits are only available in white. I'm also starting to look into metallic paints to do the rims with.

IanW likes this.
  7. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

My latest Lego build finished a few days ago (A Christmas gift from my Mother-in-law) Took a record 11 days off and on.

On a separate but related note does anyone have any cleaning recommendations for my Lego kits as I put them on display, my current plan is to take them to the workshop and use the compressed air but I'm a bit worried about blowing bits off.

8. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Tamiya 74078 Anti Static Brush, use mine for model work and surface prep when airbrushing, expensive but brilliant.

Pete J likes this.
  9. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Lovely! Brilliant place to park it, too. 11 days - you must've been on it non-stop. That monster would probably take me the best part of a year.

Gunny's already responded, but it may be worth checking out this article on cleaning Lego too:

Dust, the Eternal Battle

I'm quite fortunate in that my house is relatively dust free, but over the years, some has settled...

Ohh, Gunny, gonna have to look into getting that...

Byron C likes this.
  10. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

Thank you for that and sorry for the slow reply I've been having trouble finding the time to sit in front of the PC and actually get anything done. I'll look into getting one of those and giving it a go alongside the occasional blast of air in the garden.

11. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

Guessing it took about 20-25 hours all in, wish I could spend 11 days just building Lego but the cows and family would get seriously upset with me if I tried that.

I too considered that a perfect place to berth the model but we are both apparently wrong as my wife informs me it should be placed on shelves in the TV room that I need to first build.

With regard to the dust unfortunately we have an open fireplace in the living room and the house uses a wood gasification boiler, so a fair amount of fine dust but the worst source is the cattle barn on the rear of the house where we spray straw and hay, not a good combination with Lego etc.

Pete J likes this.
  12. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Update time:

Daytona SP3

[​IMG]

Annoyingly, while I've got the gear paddles to change as I want (i.e. pulling the right hand increases gear, left decreases), the gear indicator (added by the MOC) rotates the wrong way. This can only be solved by buying another of the yellow 'four tooth gear', I've added this to my parts purchase list, but I want to part out the Huayra first. Speaking of...

Pagini Huayra

I've sorted out the colour scheme I want - going to stick with the default simply to make my life easier, though a few white parts will be switched for red to make the internals more uniform. I've also bought and received the fat rear tyres:

[​IMG]

I only asked for two, but the seller sent all four he had since he's closing down his shop. Very generous as they're rare parts, as well as effectively being in new condition. I still haven't made my mind up completely if I'm going to spray them - I'll have to make sure I can do it flawlessly first.

Sauron

[​IMG]

Laid out the bits, so will begin chipping away at him now and then

IanW likes this.
  13. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Pete J likes this.
  15. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

That's very impressive, but I literally cringed at the repeated shots of the two real Lego models being smashed together!

I am 100% here for this project!

16. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

He also publishes MOC plans for Discworld Brickheadz like the Librarian & Death.

Byron C likes this.
  17. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Daytona SP3

[​IMG]

Turned out I didn't look far enough ahead in the instructions about the gear indicator rotation, meaning I ordered a couple of extra parts for nowt. Ah well, at least I have a few more parts for the other projects now. Speaking of, the gear change paddles are the best yet of any car model, having a really satisfying action. It's come a long way since the Porsche...

Only downside is that I can't get the HOG steering knob to perfectly align. Oh well.

Sauron

[​IMG]

Nothing exciting, just the start of the base.

Pagini Huayra

I now have the front rims, which are also LBG. This means that the inside of the rear rims will match up, so I don't think I'm going to bother chrome plating them after all. It would also reduce their value anyway.

IanW likes this.
  18. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Daytona SP3

[​IMG]

A bit more work on the chassis, with a bit of the seats added and the springs put in for the door opening feature added by the MOC upgrade. Also, the nose is mostly complete:

[​IMG]

Sauron

[​IMG]

Base pretty much completed, though I'm missing three bits for the burnt king's head. Those missing parts have been ordered, as well as some parts for other projects.

Star Wars Rearrangement

[​IMG]

Apologies for potato camera! I finally got around to putting up the shelves I bought months ago, to make room for the Millennium Falcon, whenever I get around to building her (think a year or two).

19. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Pete J likes this.
  20. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Daytona SP3

[​IMG]

I decided to get a few more of the little sub-assemblies done. Only one minor gripe: the headrest printed pieces have the print on the same side as the injection moulding inlet, meaning I can't hide the flaw like I do with all the other parts. Oh well, at least the two printed parts have been done in the same way, so look consistent.

Not much else to report for other projects. Had some bits turn up from France, and am waiting on another order to arrive locally. At least I'll be able to finish off Sauron's base now anyway.