1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Air quality monitoring

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kosch, 27 Jan 2023.

1. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

Hey all,

I am looking for some air quality monitors I can deploy in a couple of rooms in the house.

Mainly looking to check pollutants/chemicals/air mix rather than dust/pollen.

Any suggestions for resources or hardware greatly appreciated.

2. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

3. kosch

wyx087, adidan and Goatee like this.
  4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I have two Amazon Fart Boxes Smart Air Quality Sensors. On the plus side, they're dinky little boxes, unobtrusive, seem to have reasonably accurate readings, tie in well to the Alexa ecosystem - you can ask for Alexa for a verbal reading, or it'll display on the Echo Shows. They also measure temperature, humidity, PM2.5, VOCs, and CO, and you can tie readings to actions (like turning on a fan or dehumidifier).

On the downside, CO monitoring come with the warning that you're absolutely not to use it instead of an alarm - and CO₂ would have been much more useful. VOCs measurement is relative, not absolute, and there's no on-device display - just an LED that goes green-amber-red for various air quality levels - so if you don't already have an Amazon anything then you're not going to get much out of it outside of the smartphone app.

It does do historical data, at least, both for the generalised "Air Quality Index" and for each individual sensor reading. Never looked into getting it out of there as numbers, though, only looking at the bar graphs it generates. Knowing Amazon, it wouldn't easy - if it's even possible.

kosch likes this.
  6. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

7. kosch

Thanks @Gareth Halfacree I managed to pickup a brand new one off a marketplace for half the retail price so will test that and see how we go.

wyx087 and Gareth Halfacree like this.
Tags: