1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Custom PC Magazine died (but came back to life)

Discussion in 'General' started by SuperHans123, 4 Feb 2023.

1. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

2. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

Still got a few of them under my bed.

3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Think I just kept a hold of number 100 and iirc @Gareth Halfacree kindly sent me issue 1 eons ago.

Did have a lovely mug but the handle broke off, hope I have it laying around somewhere - I'm sure it could be modded.

4. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

The only one I still have is 97- PC building Masterclass, because it's a really good tutorial for putting a PC together and is ageless. In particular the pages on what to do if you press the on button and nothing hapens...

5. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Wow, there's a blast from the past. I think the last issue I bought was somewhere around #120 - 125, when I threw a hissy fit about them dedicating a quarter of the magazine to NUCs and cancelled my sub.

Still sad to see it go, though.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Two issues. I was two issues away from a full decade of Hobby Tech.

Sad times.

Hex, wolf5ster, IanW and 4 others like this.
  8. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

I have to say, I'm absolutely gutted.
    I much prefer reading physical books and magazines.
    I thought something was up these last few months having not been seen it on the shelves anywhere it usually was.
    Really going to miss it as there is no print media that bears any reasonable comparison for this subject matter.

wolf5ster likes this.
  9. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Think this has helped me make a decision that I've been thinking for a while.

I hardly read my magazines anymore, my attention span has dropped massively I can barely focus on a couple of paragraphs before i lose interest.

Think last months copy is still in the cellophane and this months is on the doormat still.

I definitely wont read it if its on my phone so I feel a cancelation coming on. :(

I got a lot of enjoyment out of them through the years though.

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

There's nothing to cancel - the magazine's going away completely. The brand has been acquired and will relaunch as a website - just a website, no magazine, no subscriptions, no monthly anything - with Ben at the helm and some of the current writers involved.

IanW, CrapBag and SuperHans123 like this.
  11. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

It was custom pc that got me on their forum that got me on here.

Until then and my socket A setup I'd not really bothered with anything pc related since I was programming in BBC Basic as a kid (beyond using my dad's pc).

wolf5ster and Isitari like this.
  12. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

It’s sad, but unfortunately not surprising. Oddly enough I can’t remember if it was CPC that led me here or the other way around… I stayed for the mince pie test :)

13. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Ah I see.

In that case I may well read it in small snippets.

14. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Same

bugger...

...wonder if it's worth scalping all the free/pay as you feel copies... for archival purposes you see...

I saw Wireframe had been offloaded by pi to whynow [nope... no idea], guessing CPC is a similar deal. Pi wanting out of the magazine space so they can focus on... not making pis or whatever it is they're actually doing atm...

15. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

[​IMG]

Sorry to see it go, although I did cancel my sub years ago when it seemed almost every second or third copy had a build masterclass in. Fond memories, regardless.

16. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

That's too bad, though later than I would have expected.
    I've not bought a print issue of any magazine for quite some time, though was a subscriber at one point.

I still have several copies of issues 7 specifically. Best issue hands down.

17. NickCPC

NickCPC Minimodder

So just to check (if the knowledge is here), will there be any kind of refund for subscriptions with editions left? My wife resubscribed for me in December, so whilst I obviously feel regret for the team involved with the print model of CPC, to only have 2 mags out of a 12 month subscription isn't exactly fair either.

18. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

Well I do have issue 234 and I was about to resubscribe:(. I was just getting back into having printed mags again, it looks like just sticking with PC PRO

Sad times

19. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

Same here, it was micro mart first then I started reading their 2 sister magazines Custom PC and PC Pro. It was Custom PC that led me here

20. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I still have issue 96 as thats the one I was featured in, but I haven't read it in a decade I'd think. Kind of sad that the yonger generation won't even have the option, as micro mart, then this really got me into tech to where I am today, making cutting edge sub sea cameras for quarter of a million a pop!

Arboreal and The_Crapman like this.