1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Biden: his time as the 46th US President

Discussion in 'Serious' started by yuusou, 6 Jul 2020.

1. koola

koola Minimodder

No no, I read it clearly and Trump was on point as usual. He didn't spend anywhere near those over inflated estimates. What he has was 8 Billion and much of that was cancelled by Biden https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/15/heres-where-the-money-for-trumps-border-wall-will-come-from.html

Thank you CNN!

2. koola

koola Minimodder

allegedly not the same. Facts please in the serious forums or state clearly it's your opinion.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Now, I'm getting into exactly the kind of tit-for-tat I don't want to get into any more, but the above cannot go unchallenged.

You said, and I quote:
    If you read my post clearly, please explain to me why you decided that the estimate from Trump's own administration was "probably [made] with opposition intent."
    What he spent on the wall was $15 billion, as I already told you.

Your link goes to CNBC, Slick, not CNN. That's literally one of CNN's competitors.

IanW likes this.
  4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

If you want to see the information I’m going on, you’re more than welcome to read the two Wikipedia pages I skimmed. Or the primary sources referenced in the Wikipedia pages, there are plenty of those.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Biden_classified_documents_incident
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FBI...nald_Trump's_handling_of_government_documents

PS, Only of those links has “FBI” in the title.

IanW likes this.
  5. koola

koola Minimodder

He doesn't appoint everybody top to bottom, staffer do and they let in bad actors. In a polite way; political allegiances can shift with politicians.

You told me and linked to an un-cited news article form a questionable source.

As you mentioned above tit-for-tat appropriately, thank you.

6. koola

koola Minimodder

If I couldn't use Wikipedia in uni, how can I trust it as a source (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Academic_use)

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

So when the Democratic Party does something which goes against what a member has gone on record as saying, they're two-faced... but when the Republican Party does something which goes against what a member has gone on record as saying, it's... fine?
    Okay, here's the US Customs and Border Protection records, direct from the Department of Homeland Security, saying that $11 billion had already been spent as of the time the report was made.

Good enough source for you? If you can't be bothered reading the documents and associated report, here's NPR's summary citing the same source. No CNN (or CNBC, or any other news organisation starting "CN" that you've been told to hate) in sight!

Oh, and by the way, I will now need you to be using exclusively primary sources for any claims you make in this or other threads in future. Quid pro quo, Clarice, quid pro quo.

IanW likes this.
  8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

That’s why I also said to check the primary sources that Wikipedia references. Stop trying to pull “gotchas” and instead read what I actually wrote.

IanW likes this.
  9. koola

koola Minimodder

I don't consider Wikipedia even for primary research (nor do many companies including mine), so I wouldn't even look.

10. Gareth Halfacree

That's not what "primary sources" means, Ace.

IanW and Byron C like this.
  11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Alright, then let’s come back to the point that started this diversion:

To which you replied:

Which addresses only my conclusion that comparing Trump and Biden’s handling of classified documents is a false equivalence.

So let’s address the actual substance of the post, instead of just the conclusion. I am more than happy for you to make the case that both Biden and Trump have acted in a similar fashion when it comes to their handling of classified materials.

12. Gareth Halfacree

I'm more than happy to take that a step further, and state categorically that I would love for both Trump and Biden to be investigated over their handling of classified documents and if mishandling, deliberate or otherwise, is concluded charged accordingly, taken to trial, and if found guilty handed an appropriate punishment.

Like I said earlier, a world in which politicians are actually held to the standard of law regardless of the party to which they pledge allegiance would be lovely.

13. koola

koola Minimodder

I happens on both sides yes.

I stand corrected, it's actually 4 Billion short from that grossly over inflated estimate and four more from the initial securement. Well done Trump! Even the DHS and CBP were ecstatic https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/nation...bp-celebrate-400-miles-new-border-wall-system

There was seemingly a lot of cost overruns https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/files/publications/21_0611_dhs_security_border_wall_plan.pdf

I don't hate them, just find them biased in reporting and politically motivated.

Veritatis studio

Last edited: 6 Apr 2023
  14. koola

koola Minimodder

And they have whether knowingly or unknowingly. Until a judge has ruled on this in accordance with the law, it's hyperbole.

15. Gareth Halfacree

But you only complain about one. Interesting.
    You are aware that the wall never got finished? You must be, because earlier you complained about that being Biden's fault.

So, you're now saying it's great that Trump came in at least $3 billion ("it'll cost $8bn," actually spent at least $11bn) over budget (or $11 billion over budget if you take "it won't cost a penny 'cos Mexico will pay" at face value, or $15 billion over budget if we take the CBP's final figures) to build 864 miles of new wall and 1,163 of secondary wall, but actually only built 47 miles of new wall and 408 miles of secondary or replacement wall.

That's, at the minimum, 37.5 per cent over budget to deliver 22.45 per cent of the promised wall. No bias, no political motivation, just basic maths.

Well done Trump, indeed. Were I to deliver that kind of "success" to my clients, I wouldn't have clients for long.
    Then you will have no problem citing exclusively primary sources from here on.

16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Please cite your sources, or it’s only alleged.

Could you tell me which judge? I wasn’t aware of any court proceedings relating to either incident.

Let’s also bear in mind that you don’t seem to have had a problem repeatedly offering your opinion - or hyperbole, as you put it - on this matter until you were called out on it.

17. koola

koola Minimodder

I complain about politicians

How many are crossing the border illegally now?

Wall is wall. Read the official source PDF where it states 400 miles with some remaining. Big projects often overrun estimates (HS2 anyone), but it's well below your stated 15B. I think it's great Trump found the extra capital to get it finished, but it wasn't.

18. koola

koola Minimodder

I'm tired of this tit-for-tat. Please re-read what was posted. Until being the operative word. One cannot cite the future lol

19. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

But not Trump, apparently.

I am sorry that calling you out on bad faith arguments, misinformation, and logical fallacies is tiring for you.

20. Gareth Halfacree

No you don't. Look, it's one thing not to read what I'm posting properly, but to forget what you yourself have posted? How can I possibly have a conversation with you about anything?

Ahem:
    Please point me towards the politician, singular, with "Party, Democratic" on their birth certificate. That is you complaining about a political party - worse, claiming the entire party has double standards.
    No, it isn't. I've read the sources. It's 22.45 per cent of what was promised, for 137.5 per cent the cost - at best.

You were wrong about it costing $8bn. What else do you think you might be wrong about, now you have admitted your fallibility? What else may people have lied to you about?
    That's not my amount stated, that's the US CBP's final total. Keep reading, champ.
    Great question. Do you have a primary source for the latest figures, and how they've changed over time? Please do share.