1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

The doctors have given my grandad 2 months...

2. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

Bloody hell mate. All the best for your treatment, you are in good hands. Mate of mine in Cornwall had it and got the all clear. Still clear 20 years later... still being the pain in the arse he always was !

3. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

Christ this thread turned to **** this page. Sorry to hear that too mate.

adidan likes this.
  4. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

FFS, sorry to hear mate.

I second @GaryP , some really awful news in this thread recently

5. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Sorry to hear that.

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Look at the time of the attempted delivery. He wanted to go home and didn't fancy hunting through the boxes in the back of the van for your parcel.

IanW likes this.
  7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

If the tracking said "driver got too hot, sacked the route off to go to the pub" I'd completely understand. Just... give me some information, y'know?

wolfticket and IanW like this.
  8. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Had an aborted delivery of Dell stuffs at work yesterday. When our BOFH checked with the carrier, he was told "No access to site" - at 9am on a Monday, with around 70 people on site. o_O

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  9. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I'm gonna be the first to say it: it is unpleasantly hot. If I could go sit out in the garden and then come back inside to cool off then I might enjoy it more. But my house has become unbearable again. Every room is stinking hot and it feels like I'm breathing a sticky soup instead of air. My office started the day reading ~26 degrees at about 0730 and that felt cool, right now it's reading 30 degrees. Trying to sleep is... deeply unpleasant.

"bUt We OnLy gEt LiKe tHrEe dAyS oF sUmMeR a yEaR!!!" No, we don't. Not any more. We're in a country that has a humid temperate climate where we build houses to retain heat and don't typically have cheap access to air conditioning; it gets nasty when things start going over 25/26 degrees for any length of time. We are not equipped for this. Last year it got so hot in this country that it literally started fires.

Really sorry to hear about that, my condolences to you & your family.

IanW likes this.
  10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I have to admit, even though I said I'd only use it when things got really warm I have been putting the office AC on since getting back from holiday. It's on "Eco", in my defence, but still. It's 27°C outside, and would probably be north of 30°C in the office; instead it's 24°C and comfortable.

IanW likes this.
  11. sandys

sandys Multimodder

My plan was to get solar installed and heat pumps (that also do AC) for key rooms but I'm well behind schedule, no one to blame but my self :rollingeyes:, we closed all curtains in the house so live like cave dwellers, its not gone above 24C down stairs, so with fans it's not so bad, but it gets hotter as you go up.

The Attic troll (the missus :p :D ) however is in 31C. :eek: some of the hardware has quite low 40C limits which we got close to last year, need to keep an eye on it as it will surely get hotter, have smart alarms set to warn us.

IanW likes this.
  12. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

G killing those poor penguins.
    I'm sat in the home offce atm next to where the servers will go and it's getting hot in here.
    I may need to rethink how I vent the servers once I set them up.
    At my mums I have a portable AC and I'm considering buying one for the house as well.
    Other option is a fly screen and some elaborate home assistance shenanigans with some fans and some cardboard.

IanW and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  13. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Just had a real WTAF moment.

Made a purchase on Ebay last week, person I bought it from just delivered it in person, by bicycle, from about 40 miles away. Then spent several minutes trying to sell me more stuff and grilling me on what I intended to do with my purchase.

Now I've had stuff (and delivered stuff) in person before, but this particular thing? It was a Maglite bulb, all £10's worth of a teenie weenie Maglite bulb. I bought it because my Maglite needs a replacement bulb, there's no grand strategy involved here. I admire the dedication, but the guy's standing there and I don't know whether to politely ask him to leave or tackle him back down the driveway. It's 7:30pm on Tuesday, I'm not prepared for social interaction!

14. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

I agree, wtaf

15. adidan

Have people always been this weird or are they getting weirder?

That is uncomfortably odd.

16. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

Been staring at the figures on the will. I'd rather have my mom than those numbers

Not our choice

17. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

Friendly reminder to do your backups. My trusty 8TB Seagate archive drive died today, no warning, just dead (to be fair, it was in my Hyper-V host in the basement, so I wouldn't have heard any death clicks). I have ~85% of the data offsite over at a friends house, but I got out of the habit of keeping it updated during covid, so I need to drop in tomorrow to pick up the drive and see when I last updated it (I'm thinking over a year ago). I can think of a few 'nice to have' things that are gone forever, but not sure if I lost anything that will cause me to lose sleep.

18. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

The same systems that retain heat, also keep it out. Double glazing, cavity wall, etc.
    In Australia most houses older than about the 80s have none of these, the second the sun comes out, your house warms up.

adidan likes this.
  19. adidan

Solicitors and survey reports.

Honestly my buyers solicitor wants to know which way I wipe my backside. Have I ever had a flood? Wtf it's a good fair way from the river and substantially higher, if that house has a flood most of the country will be drowning.

Then a survey comes back, big red letters cannot pass. Oh, odd. Lots of houses in that area bought and sold, I never had anything come up when i bought it.

Blah blah a sawmill may have been nearby somewhere between 1921 and 1951 so cannot say for definite it's not contaminated land. Well they can if you pay another £250+vat. Sod off. Buyer wants to waste their money then fine but an entire estate and park were built decades later...

Anyway, on we go.

20. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Really concerned for our older cat right now. She’s been really out of sorts the last couple of days. They don’t do well in hot weather but this is worse than what we’ve seen before.

She’s 17, so she’s not exactly leaping about the place at the best of times. Lethargic, weak, hardly eats, won’t have any treats, can’t get her to take her meds, and it’s been getting worse over the last day or two. She’s been peeing outside the litter tray for a couple of days, but up until now it’s been because she doesn’t quite make it all the way in before she goes. But for about the last hour she’s been wandering round the house squatting down, but nothing’s coming out.

I’m going to stay up for another couple of hours and see how she gets on, but if it doesn’t get any better I’ll be calling an emergency vet. We’ve known for the last couple of years that she won’t be with us much longer, but if she doesn’t improve soon I think her time might be up.