Graphics best GPU for 1440p

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by adam_bagpuss, 13 Jun 2023.

1. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

Hey all,

slightly out of the loop on GPU these days and finding the right one is becoming a pain especially with previous generation out performing some of the current gen.

What should i be looking at for best value with 1440p @ MAX settings? Budget id say around 600 or less but open to getting best bang per buck rather than a hard limit.

I usually keep my GPUs for 2-3 years and play a wide range of games. Currently have a 5800x3D qith 16GB of 3200mhz RAM for other specs. PSU is 750W Gold if i remember correctly.

I currently have a 6600XT that i bought during the pandemic and while its holding up pretty well im dipping below 60 now in some games consistently.

Any advice appreciated as looking at benchmarks etc its not 100% clear the best option.

Dont care if its AMD or Nvidia.

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Spanky and The_Crapman like this.
  3. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Probably a 6950xt new @ ~600, used perhaps a 3090/3080Ti if you want to save some dough.

4. adam_bagpuss

isn't the 4070 the same price though as the 6950XT with very similar performance and about half the power draw ?

5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

And less vram, depends if that'll be an issue for you.

For that price and how cheap vram is it's daft they left it at 12. Well I know why they left it at 12 but it's still stupid.

6. adam_bagpuss

hmm did the electricity cost on it and its not daft but not insignificant either.

at 3 hours a day (i probably dont avg that but BEST case :) ) works out about £5.48 for the 4070 and £9.17 for 6950XT. £3 more per month - seems daft but actually doing the math means worst case i pay a bit more long term. the card is roughly 10-15% faster though looking at benchmarks avg.

7. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

VRAM don't mean **** when they've gimped the cores so bad. That's why a 4070ti can just beat a 3090 in min and AVG FPS at 4k, despite having half the vram. However the 4070ti is overpriced so the best bang per buck I would say is a second hand 3090. Available for 600-650 easily.

I stand corrected. THAT is an absolute bargain. Which seems mad to say for £590. But it's new, at least.

adidan likes this.
  8. adam_bagpuss

9. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

That's likely on stock voltages, which are always stacked way too high. You can tune that down a fair bit while maintaining at least 99% of the performance. In many instances you can actually get a performance bump from reducing power, because in doing so you will also reduce the heat, allowing the boost a bit more room to breathe.
    For £35 quid more you get the chonkiest of chonky coolers and a well binned die.....
    https://www.scan.co.uk/products/pow...racing-graphics-card-rdna2-5120-streams-2435m

I'm also pissed off because I wanted a card in this bracket a couple of months ago, but the price reduction on these seen in the US hadn't yet migrated here.

Last edited: 13 Jun 2023
  10. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

My own experience of gaming at 1440p, 6750XT has munched everything so far across a variety of genres.

adidan likes this.
  11. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Yup, do this on my 3080Ti, runs about 30% less voltage meaning it can romp 2Ghz+ all day, consumes the same power as stock but doesn't throttle 20% when it gets warm due to voltage or TDP. If I cared about power consumption I could TDP cap the card with lower voltage and still stay within stock or better performance but lower watts.

That 4070/Ti is an impressively efficient card but I hit VRAM limits with 12Gb on my 3080Ti so it'd have to be the pricier TI for me at least to max games as you suggest you want to do, or just turn things down, though I do run 4K which perhaps bumps things up on the VRAM side of things.

Last edited: 13 Jun 2023
    Vault-Tec likes this.
  12. Vault-Tec

[​IMG]

Open AMD control centre. Click on Performance. Then click on the Tuning tab, then simply click. You will lose a weeeeny bit of performance, you will use a ton less power. The figures you are seeing? were for review day. Literally one day of performance, with lots of voltage etc. Just like everything else these days.

BTW I would take the AMD reference card over anything XFX make all day. The game is worth £25 if you wanted to sell it too. Just make sure you sell it to a Radeon owner, 'cause you need to download a tool to validate it before you get the key.

Andy - £590 for a last gen top end card is very cheap IMO. Especially a brand new one. That was a big die, and it came from TSMC. Not cheap. When you think that BITD a GTX 590 cost around the same and could barely crack 30 FPS at 1080p? yeah, I would say that is very fair tbh.

SuperHans123 likes this.
  13. Vault-Tec

It ain't similar performance dude. Not at all. The 6950XT worried Nvidia so much they launched the 3090Ti. It is similar performance in RT, but who gives AF about that? It also has a lot more VRAM. And I would be waaaay more concerned about that going into the future. I would be willing to bet my abode that when more true next gen UE5 games come along (like The Last Of Us) and etc? 12gb will barely get people through another 2 years. Nvidia know what they are doing and they know what is coming.

The 4070 is around as fast as a 3080. The 6950XT is two jumps ahead of that. Literally last gen absolutely top end performance.

14. adam_bagpuss

ended up get the XFX version? Any reason why you wouldnt xtouch XFX ? I've had several cards from them all no issues.

Also comes with RE4 as well.

15. Vault-Tec

They are horrible when it comes to warranty.

That said I think Scan would inevitably be responsible these days. Well, if you could call them that.

16. adam_bagpuss

Scan have been great on warranty stuff for me in the past and your contact is ultimately with the place you bought it from not XFX directly.

Sentinel-R1, IanW and adidan like this.
  17. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

They handled my Corsair nvme warranty really well earlier this year.

Sentinel-R1 likes this.
  18. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Warranty support can be hit or miss with any retailer.

I’ve had good experiences with Scan in the past, including with an intermittently faulty CPU that I thought I was going to have to fight them on. Others have had nothing but headaches and grief.

I used to buy from Novatech when they had a store in Cardiff, ‘cos I could drive faulty kit back over to them and I had great support from them. Won’t touch them with a barge pole now though, ‘cos they tended to be more expensive and don’t really offer anything else over other online retailers.

19. Vault-Tec

Well my experience with XFX was many moons ago and basically I got screwed over. Their lifetime warranty was no such thing, and was just like PNY's. IE the life time of the product so about ten minutes. And Scan? two terrible experiences there.

All that said? if you are happy with both? fair play to ya. I suppose some of it is just dumb luck really, and I never had any. I switched to OCUK once Proudfoot clacked it and have been there ever since.