1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Corrupt Windows Repair Help

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by modd1uk, 21 Aug 2023.

1. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Reaching out to the bit-tech god's and praying for help.

I'll try and keep it short like @GaryP.

A friend of mine has an old Q6600 PC that we think was running Windows 7 and it's since either been upgraded or autoupgraded to Windows 10.

It's a 32bit version of Windows 10, no idea if home or pro.

The PC has some very important software installed and configured that works with a piece of equipment, which to replace is very expensive.

The PC just gets stuck in a boot loop with a BSOD of critical process died.

Now given the drive is basically invaluable I've not attempted any repairs on that drive, instead I've cloned it off a few times and I've been working on the cloned drives.

There's no system restore points
    Can't rollback any updates etc
    When you boot to a USB it shows the account name etc, shows it's running Windows 10

If you let it chkdsk then you lose that, the account info becomes blank as does the OS.

I've tried a few things but it still won't boot, tried the drive in different machines and repairs in that and the result is the same, no boot, critical process has died.

Can anybody please shed any light as to any repairs I can try on a 32bit Windows 10 install that we really need to boot .

Beer tokens if your solution leads to a successful boot obviously, you'd be doing me a massive favour.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

See this? This is the right way to approach the problem.

I assume you've tried booting (a clone of) the drive in different hardware?

3. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

What did you use to clone the original drive?

If you boot from a Windows 10 USB stick, and head into the troubleshoot section, there should be an option for Command Prompt. From there you'll want to run the following.

Code:
    diskpart
    list vol
    sel vol x
    clean
    cre par pri
    format quick fs=ntfs label=SYSTEM
    assign letter=S
    exit
    bcdboot C:\Windows /s S: /f BIOS
    exit

This will rebuild the boot partition from scratch, however, if the OS itself is knackered, this will likely not work. Things to note, when you run list vol make a note of the partition number of the SYSTEM partition, this will replace x in sel vol x. Also make sure the Windows partition is assigned C, if not, bcdboot C:\windows will need the C swapping with the correct letter.

I'll also take this opportunity to say anything that is remotely mission critical, or expensive to replace, should have backups. :p

This will also need to be booted on the original machine, but with the original drive(s) detached.

Edit: Is the original drive a HDD by any chance?

Last edited: 21 Aug 2023
  4. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Yeah I've got a few cloned drives, tried to boot in a few different computers of different spec / age just in case it was a UEFI issue or the computer being too new etc, same result unfortunately.

5. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

I just used partition wizard which I've used over a thousand times and never had an issue.

The clone does work, I can access the data on the cloned drive, it's frustrating as everything is on the drive it just doesn't boot into Windows.

And re backups you're preaching to the choir, but like a lot of things in life people don't realise until its too late.

Had he had a working image of the drive this wouldn't have been an issue :(

6. noizdaemon666

It was more a curiosity thing, rather than pointing the blame at the clone itself :)

If you do try the commands I wrote, please double check the edited version, as it differs slightly to the quoted version.

Edit: What options have you run with chkdsk?

7. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

This might sound silly, but can you boot into safe mode or whaever its called?

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Can you copy the program's files from a clone onto a fresh Windows install? Can you export the program's registry hives and import 'em on the new Windows install? If yes to both... will the program then run?

9. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Yeah original is a HDD, going to re clone and try it on a fresh cloned drive. (cloning to HDD)

just /f /r I think? I got lost, tried so many different things,

Unfortunately not, that would be ideal, none of the boot options work, all kick back a BSOD with critical process died.

Tried that earlier onto a fresh PC (bar the registry) and the software booted but didn't get any further, it connects through serial, and the config is stored within this broken OS.

When I copied the software across and saw it booted I was hopeful but alas it lead to nothing, there's too many different things required for it to work so simply I think.

I'll try the above fix and see if I get anywhere, wish me luck! (gonna clone then try)

MadGinga likes this.
  10. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

It got as far as bcdboot then gives the "failure when attempting to copy boot files" error message

11. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I thought rather than try to recall commands, this link might help. It goes through them step by step.

modd1uk likes this.
  12. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Just been through and done all this, it tries to boot then BSOD's out with the "a critical process has died" message.

Isn't there a way to to a DISM repair from the recovery environment?

13. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Does anybody fancy having a crack? I can clone a few drives off and send them out.

At a loss with it now

14. noizdaemon666

If bcdboot can't copy the files, that means the OS itself is pretty knackered rather than just unable to boot. Worse than I had imagined. I'm more than happy to have a stab at a clone though, if you'd like!

15. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Yeah I rebuilt the entire boot partition, so it attempts to boot and then just BSODs out with critical process died.

I'll keep trying, see if I can get anywhere but if you PM me your address I'll send you a clone down to play with see if you get any further :).

16. noizdaemon666

I'll PM my address across but have you tried an in-place upgrade? From memory you should be able to do it even if it's to the same version of the OS.

17. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

You have to be able to boot into windows to an in place upgrade don't you? I don't think it can be done from the recovery environment ?

18. noizdaemon666

Hmm, you might be right on that one. It's been some time since I had to do one! Thinking cap on.